Monday 13 May 2013

FMP: Gathering Feedback

Today I sat down with my lecturers and classmates to have a crit meeting on where we were so far in our projects, so I was able to present the designs that I had to see if I could get any feedback from them. I am pleased to say that the crit went extremely well and that most liked my designs – especially my typeface choices – and there wasn’t really anything that I needed to desperately change about it.

I showed them two versions: one set of designs I had printed off at Staples, and the other from uni. All had agreed that the Staples designs were a lot more pristine and the black really stood out from the page, and this only confirmed my thoughts so I decided to stick with those.

They mentioned I should try out is to cut down the white border around the invitations or get rid of it altogether, so I printed out several versions and cut them down to different sizes.

I first cut the border so that it was 5mm away from the illustration, and then another where it was 8mm away, and then another without the border at all. I then cut down some black card that I was hoping would be inserted between the back and front design to see how it would look as a final piece.

(please zoom to see more detail!)

The thin border (5mm) looked quite good without the card but as soon as I placed it in front of it, it looked as if I was mounting my design onto a portfolio rather than creating an invitation. This was the same for all of my other designs that had borders, and the one without any borders at all just looked a bit out of place.


I then put my original design in front of the black card and it looked perfectly fine; although the black card didn’t create a border, it was a subtle feature as when I turned it to the side you could see the black card sandwiched between the front and back.


Conclusion:
After taking notes on the feedback I gathered I was able to do some experimentation, and this allowed me to try something that I never thought of before. Even though I am going back to my original design it was nice to try out the idea of thinning out the borders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment