Friday 3 May 2013

FMP: Place Card Design

The Final Design

The Process
I wanted to create the other parts of the stationary set and decided to design a place card, having gotten an idea whilst doing the RSVP, so it was just a matter of converting it into a Place card.

I started by looking at different dimensions of Place cards before settling with 11x5cm when folded. I opened up InDesign and put in the dimensions of when it'll be flat (so 11x10cm) and put in three margins.
Once that was done I needed to place a rectangle in it as a guide to see where it would fold, so I clicked on the Shape tool, then clicked randomly and a boxed appeared. I typed in 11x5cm. I then put the rectangle at the top and Placed in the illustration and wrote the longest name I could think of so I know what pt size the type has to be.



So there I had one of my designs, but just out of curiosity I went along and played with other designs (also taken inspiration from my RSVP designs).


Once they were done I selected the rectangle and then while it was still selected I picked the scissors tool, and "cut" at the corners of the rectangle of the lines I wanted to delete. Now all that I'm left with is the thin line for the fold (but I would later delete this when I print out my final design.


I thus have three designs:





Conclusion:
This wasn't as hard to decide as it was for my other cards, and I have decided to go along with my first idea because once I test printed them out and placed them beside my other designs, it was more obvious that they linked into the same theme as they all used the same illustration as the border.

I think now when I come to design other cards - if I have the time - I would use the same bother so I needn't experiment with the plain rose corner border.

No comments:

Post a Comment