Sunday 12 May 2013

FMP: Thank You Card Sketches & Design

The Final Design



The Process
The first step I took was to get some sketches down on paper, and this didn't take long because I already had my ideas in mind that was inspired by all of the other parts of the stationary. I wasn't going to design something completely new so I could get away with having the same format as the other designs.



The second step was to then pick out a few designs to experiment with, so I brought up InDesign and created a New Document with the dimensions of an A6 card as Thank You cards are quite small, making it so that it'll be portrait (I'll be doing a landscape design later). Then I Placed my illustration onto the design.
I had created another banner but in white, following the same steps shown here in this post, and so once the illustration was on the design I Placed in the banner and moved it around until it fit around the castle perfectly.


After the banner is done, I could then put in the words "Thank You" within so I use the Pen tool to draw a curve, then selected "Type on Path", clicked just on the line and put the words in, using Lavanderia as the typeface.


This is therefore what my first design looks like:


I wasn't too keen on the fact that the banner looks really digitalised against the hand drawn illustration, so I decided to try out my other ideas.
My second idea was to create it in the similar format as the Save the Date card, but keeping the heading relatively small to allow more writing space for the couple.


This is then my second design:


My third design was to display the illustration on one side and then the type on another, much like my invitation design.


This then becomes my third design:


Out of curiosity I went along and experimented with laying it out so that all of the words and illustration are displayed on one side, with the other side blank for the couple to write in.


However I wasn't very keen on it as the type was quite restricted and the illustration didn't fit in the space.

My fourth design would be a landscape one, so I created a New Document with the same dimensions but with a landscape orientation. I then designed it in a similar format to the RSVP and Place Card designs.


This is my fourth design:


With all of my designs done I can now pick the ones I find most successful, analyse them, and then choose my final design!


Chosen Designs
I now have these three as my chosen designs and I shall analyse all three to figure out which one would be more suitable. Ideally it would be better if I could print them out as well and place them side by side my other designs as I found that it helped me out with my Place Card designs.


First design:
  • Obvious link to my other designs, especially the RSVP and Place Card
  • Minimalist - plenty of space for couple to write their thanks
  • Maybe a bit too boring once placed alongside other designs?
  • Inspired by RSVP card & similar designs on my mood board
Second design:
  • Similar to Save the Date design although not too similar
  • Plenty of writing space
  • Has all of the elements I have written in my conclusion of research 
  • Inspired by Missoula Wedding Announcement design on Behance
Third design
  • More decorative - has two sides
  • Would probably be better if the other side was like the other side of my invitation (like second design)
  • People might get confused and not notice the back
  • Inspired by invitation design

Conclusion:
Taking all of these points into account, I think I might go with the second design as the first already matches both the RSVP and Place Cards, and I don't want there to be too much repition. Besides this card would be sent out maybe a month after the wedding so I want to include as many as the features from the invitation as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment