Wednesday 7 May 2014

FMP (BA): French Fold Prototype 3

My next idea was to have some sort of book fold (cloth?) to cover the spine and gold thread, and even though I am quite satisfied with the thread showing, I want to explore into as many options as possible so that I have more to choose from to take across to my final design. Besides, there is always a possibility that the method I didn't try could've been better than the others, so it was in my best interest to try it out.

This means that I have to go back to my InDesign files and adjust the white gap and make it smaller as I only want the fold to cover 1cm of the front and back design, so the gap would have to be smaller than that (but only slightly).


With that done I could now print it out and then start making my prototype. I used the exact same method as before but this time I stuck my covers separately on a piece of black card. As I haven't got the exact materials to produce this book-cloth-fold I'm just using a scrap piece of paper for now.


Prototype Production

I printed all of my designs off onto cartridge paper which is the paper that I'm hoping to use for my book. This will help give me an idea of how thick the spine would be as well as pointing out any adjustments I need to make to the design.

I first cut them all out with a scalpel before folding and arranging them into place. Then it was just a case of repeating what I had learnt from before.
My book/cloth fold hadn't yet arrived so I made do with a spare piece of black card to give me a general idea of what it would look like. The spine was actually only 0.5cm wide so I didn't have to use much of it.



This took longer to bind because of how thick the paper was, and I often had to just create holes through half of the pages before doing it again on the other half. I'm hoping that this would be a lot easier with an awl - which should arrive in time for my final - because it often meant that my holes were slightly off-mark. Luckily, because of the thickness of the paper, it hid any white gaps that might be shown when flicking through the pages.

With everything binded it was then time to put my piece of black card over it, and I used double-sided tape to stick it down. This is because I found it to be much stronger and lasted longer than spray mount.


Then I was done!


Problems I had:

  • Book was very thick - harder to make holes in - should use a longer and sharper tool - the awl?
  • Didn't cut the cover accurately
  • Cut the "ends" of the thread too short - peeking out from beneath the book fold. Maybe make them longer so easier to tuck behind?
  • Double-sided tape - wasn't stuck right at the edge so the card wasn't flat against the cover
  • Back cover - some ink came off onto the blutac - should place tissue paper beneath it while making the holes 
Most of the problems mentioned above could be easily solved by cutting everything out accurately and make the thread slightly longer so that it could be tucked in, but the design overall worked really well. The spine-book-cloth-cover didn't cover too much of the design and I'm glad I managed to sort the line art and shift it slightly, because now the front cover fits perfectly.


Reflective Thinking - Summary

With this done I am confident with this method for my final design. What worries me the most is the printing - I need to find a similar sort of printer as the one I normally use is out of ink, so hopefully I can do that by this week at the latest otherwise I'd find that other printers had also ran out of ink.

I hope that my cloth binder book (I always forget what it's called) would arrive in time but if it doesn't, I have purchased thin black paper to act as a substitute. Luckily my awl did arrive later on in the day so the making holes part should go smoothly. 

As I have a little bit of time left I think I might construct the poster design to advertise this event. I am tempted to just carry across an existing design like it says in the brief or create a whole new design for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment