Sunday 4 May 2014

FMP (BA): Saddle Stitch Prototype 2

I went back to Staples to get some more of my work printed out as they had the highest level of accuracy when it came to printing out double-sided even though there was still a minor white gap due to the off-centre mark. I was hoping that these "prototypes" could serve as final pieces if they went correctly, so I made sure that all of the adjustments I had made previously were included in my designs.

I printed off two versions; one for the saddle stitch, and another for my French fold design. I decided to first focus on my saddle stitch one.

I used the exact same method I did when I was doing my first prototypes [here]. However I used a few new materials such as wax so that I could wax my thread to make it smoother, and I also bought some new needles that were a bit sharper.

Process


Final







Problems I faced:
  • The off-centre mark - this was greatly reduced by tightening my bind, but there is still a sliver of white on my Dr. Seuss design
  • Dr. Seuss - strangely the colour for the background came out more like a lilac colour rather than deep blue... 

Reflective Thinking - Summary

This process was a lot smoother than the last time as I knew what I had to do to ensure that I could overcome the problems I mentioned last time such as tightening the binding to reduce the gap, and to be careful when making the holes. I chose a sharper needle as well to minimise the little bumps that the holes created on the back cover.

I am a bit disappointed that I didn't notice the colour difference in the Dr. Seuss image before I bound everything together, because if I do choose this method then I would have to print everything again and repeat the whole process which is time-consuming. At least I'll know for next time and when I do my other prototypes!

Now I shall just focus on doing as many prototypes as possible and maybe try it out on scrap pieces of paper instead of the final pieces... 

No comments:

Post a Comment