Friday 2 May 2014

FMP (BA): Prototype - French Fold & Stab Binding

I'm still trying to find alternatives to both of the bookbinding methods I had tried before (the accordion book and saddle stitch) and I had the idea of French folds in order to avoid doing double-sided printing. After a bit of research I discovered that the best binding methods for French folds are either glue, coils/wire, or stitching. 

I wouldn't really like to use coil or wire as I believe that they are not a very attractive method for binding, and there's a very "schoolish" appearance about them as I always think of the notepads I had scribbled into when I was at school. It lacks that texture that thread binding has, so I decided to investigate into what stitching methods I could use.

After much research I finally found a picture tutorial from [here] which displays a sewing method that would work well with French folds. 

http://howtopublishyourownphotographybook.com/handbinding/

I then decided to try this out myself!





Reflective & Critical Thinking

I feel that the French fold creates a more elegant appearance as it is rarely done in mass-produced books, the main reason being is that it uses a lot more paper and therefore would be more expensive and bad for the environment (if they didn't use recycled paper).

However I think that this is one of the best methods for my project because it's elegance creates a connection with the fact that it's only going to be displayed once a year at a literary festival that only literary enthusiasts would know about. So while on the one hand it would be more expensive to produce, it's only a one-time thing. In reality this method would use the same amount of paper as the accordion book. 

If I do use this method I would have to tweak my old designs slightly to create a 1cm gap from the edge of the designs as this section would disappear into the fold. This might be a problem if the binding isn't done correctly so I have to make sure that I am as accurate as possible and that the binding is quite tight. This is to prevent any white gaps from being uncovered.

Learning Outcomes:
[9] Developed their ability to work with complex material, analyse problems and identify appropriate solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment