Wednesday 27 March 2013

FMP: The Brief & Learning Outcomes Analysis


The Brief
Unlike all of my previous projects I came up with my own brief, and so I picked out a few points that I thought were very important to achieve a successful design.
  • Fairy tale themed wedding
  • Wedding invitation – possibly R.S.V.P, dinner cards & directions card as well
  • Consistent theme
Okay so I would definitely need to research into different fairy tales by reading books such as Grimm fairy tales, and possibly look at Disney films as well. I would also need to look at how invitations are designed, what words they used, and what I would need to include in it.

Conclusion:
This brief isn’t as demanding as my other ones although I do feel that it has a strong structure, which is helpful as it ensures that I do relevant research. I would definitely have to design a wedding invitation but I’m going to aim to do all of the other counterparts as well.


Learning Outcomes
These learning outcomes are slightly different to those of my previous projects, so I am going to analyse them further so I know exactly what I’m going to do. I shall do this by listing the bullet points from the learning outcomes and then write how I am going to overcome each point below.

  • Developed their awareness of the needs and requirements of professional practice, manifested in the ability to produce practical work of good technical quality.
There is a lot of emphasis on the final product in this learning outcome, as it asks that I “produce practical work of good technical quality”. This means that I might have to spend more time creating my product as well as designing it to ensure that everything turns out alright e.g. the printing is at it’s highest quality.
For this I might take a look at paper suppliers to see if I could use a material other than Lustre (something I always use in my projects) as well as printing companies to see how much they’ll charge. This then links in with another learning outcome further on.

  • Developed intellectual and conceptual involvement with their chosen subject area, including skills of project proposal, documentation of project development and the presentation of outcomes.
To achieve this learning outcome I must make sure that my research must be relevant to my project, and that I actually use it to help me with idea generation and the designing process. I would need to do a sufficient amount of research so that I know how to create wedding invitations from the back of my hand. I need to know my subject, not just learn about it only to forget it later on.
The “documentation of project development” and “presentation of outcomes” could be referring to the methodology side of this project where I write conclusions (big conclusions) of my work at different stages. 

  • Acquired skills of production and post-production including planning and budgeting.
As I have mentioned above, I would need to visit different paper suppliers to see how much they charge for their paper as well as printing companies. I would then be able to create a budget list to go to the company more suitable for my cause.

  • Developed written and oral skills of self-evaluation in relation to their practice.
The written self-evaluation skills could also link in to the conclusions I have to draw up for the duration of the project, and the oral skills would include being able to discuss with my lecturer on what I’m going to do and how it’ll be relevant.

  • Developed research skills in the area of contemporary professional practice.
This would include looking at recent inspirations, books, design websites, magazines… Anything to help me figure out what’s “in fashion”.

  • Developed skills of independent study, resource utilisation, problem-solving and decision-taking.
  • Developed skills of thinking, analysis, reflection and evaluation.
  • Developed their ability to scan and organise data, abstract meaning from information and communicate knowledge in a variety of formats.
  • Developed their ability to apply knowledge and skills in the production of a self-initiated practical project.
  • Developed their skills of visual, written and oral communication.
So these are all outcomes that refer to how I’m researching, and that I must research into relevant topics and be able to decide whether or not I could use it for idea generation. It’s all about independent learning so I should, at this stage, be able to think for myself without having to rely on my lecturers with helping me out every step of the way. I need to be confident in my decisions, and this confidence would help me create a successful design as I’m relying on myself to figure out whether or not I’ve done enough research to help me out later.
What caught my eye the most was “abstract meaning from information and communicate knowledge in a variety of formats”. Could this mean researching in different ways such as doing interviews, surveys, taking things from books?

Conclusion:
By analysing each point (apart from the last section) I am able to pick out each word and figure out what exactly they are asking for me to do with my project. There’s a lot more of an emphasis on doing relevant research, working out a budget and to produce a professional finish to my design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment