Thursday 21 March 2013

Portraits: Idea 3



I went back to developing my idea of the floating theatre masks, and began to draw the outline of them in biro. I wanted to be able to paint a smoky affect with watercolour paint for the background so that it appeared as if they were floating on a cloud, so I rubbed out all of the pencil lines apart from the cloud.

This was when I changed my mind because there wasn’t a valid enough reason for painting a cloud beneath the faces, and another idea had popped into mind. I had done this particular line effect in one of my last drawings (for my mum) and I really wanted to try it out again.
This is because that technique I used reminded me of waves, and so I wanted to do something that went along the lines of “wave of emotion”.

So here’s my process for doing this line technique:

When I went around the masks I drew it so that it looked as if they were floating on top of the water.

And then I was done!


Inspirations:
Chinese & Greek theatre masks

Conclusion:
I quite liked this picture, especially because I was able to relax when drawing all of those little waves even though it did take a long time. It is still a new technique to me so I tried out different ways to draw the waves, hence why some "flow" a different way than others.

I think that I would like to develop this idea but maybe had floating faces rather than masks, but maybe that could be looked at in a particularly gruesome way (as if the heads were floating in their own blood or something) so maybe not!

2 comments:

  1. Great article. I'm going through some of these issues as well..

    Have a look at my website ... Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! kind of reminds me of noface from spirited away. :)

    ReplyDelete