Friday 22 March 2013

Portraits: Experimentation

Before settling on a final design I wanted to experiment with different media. This included watercolour, watercolour pencils, ink and biro (free hand). So I photocopied some of my last sketches so that I could work on making a mess experimentation.

Watercolour Paint 

Even though I tried adding some colour to this in Photoshop I wanted to create a “cloudy” effect by using watercolour paint.

I first started by preparing the picture; I went around the edges of “sadness” with just water, as this would create the boundary for the paint to flow down. I then dipped my paintbrush in the minimum amount of paint into lots of water, and then dotted it on the paper that I had wetted.
The paint then “followed” down this area, and by taking a piece of scrunched up tissue I patted it slightly to blend all of the blue in.
I used the same method for the rest of the piece, using colours such as red for “anger”, yellow for “happiness” and green for “shock/surprise.” It took me a while to decide on what colour to actually use for shock but after doing some research I came across a page that had a colour wheel of emotions.



Inspirations:
Alice Zhang
Joe Ciardiello
Ralph Steadman
Bohemian Rhapsody


Conclusion:
I love experimenting with watercolour especially if it includes making it a bit messy, and I find it a more effective medium than Photoshop because of how I could just dot the page randomly. I find this more difficult to do in Photoshop as I keep trying to make it perfect… But with a brush I feel “free” to make the piece messy.  
Because of the "messiness" of the piece I feel that this takes away some of the detail for the lines, making it appear more like a fine art piece than an editorial illustration. 


Watercolour Pencils
Unlike paint, I tend to be really neat when working with pencil because I don’t have the ability to be light and free with it, and then dot it with water to make it into paint. However this time I just want to use the pencils for their soft texture rather than using “normal” crayons.


I wanted to try it out on this piece because I want to emphasise the fact that the masks are floating on waves of emotion, so I picked three shades to represent each emotion and started working on “anger”. I started by just picking on shade and randomly colouring in different areas around “anger”, then picked another shade, and then the last shade.


 I repeated the process across all of the emotions. Whenever the different emotions clashed I coloured it so that one flame (for example, sadness) leads onto another (anger) so that they don’t look as if there was a boundary of some sort.


And voila!


Inspirations:
Alice Zhang
Chinese & Greek theatre masks

Conclusion:
I quite like this version of adding a bit of colour as it really brings out the masks a bit more. I think it also emphasises the little “waves”.
But would this be acceptable to be displayed alongside an article? Although it is all bright an colourful, I don't think that this illustration is serious enough to fit with the topic... I'm not too sure just yet though. 


Overall Conclusion:
However I did get it a bit mixed up because the source that I had relied on for the colour scheme said that green stood for surprise and shock, with yellow for happiness, but it is in fact the other way around. Luckily I noticed this during the experimenting stage so if I do happen to take this into my final piece then I’ll know to research into emotional colour wheels a bit more.


Biro (freehand)
One of my lecturers picked up one of my first sketches I had done for this project, so I wanted to try it out by referencing from one of my pieces.

I did this by not creating any sort of facial structure for each of the faces but went "freehand" so I just drew with biro and made sure that my hand didn't lift from the page. 


Inspirations:
Ralph Steadman

Conclusion:
I really like this because of how messy and "free" the lines are, yet I feel that it doesn't have the same meaning behind it as one of my previous ideas. Though it was still lovely to experiment with biro!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic work! Thank you for sharing such useful and interesting information. Please continue publishing helpful topics like this. Regards, Web Design Brisbane, SEO, and digital marketing. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete