Tuesday 19 March 2013

Portraits: Idea 1


This illustration was inspired by Joe Ciardiello's line work, although I used the technique where I didn't take the pen off the page (I had previously experimented with this in my initial sketches). I did this because I wanted to connect all of the faces together and show that they are the many expressions of one person; sadness, anger, surprise and happiness.

I used myself as a reference:

Conclusion:
Although I do like this idea I think I'll explore more into my mask theory; don't want to settle just yet! Besides I could possibly expand on this idea and do more faces with labels above their heads or something.


Update 20.03.13
A new idea sprung to mind when I looked back at this illustration, and so I took it into Photoshop to do a little experiment. These are only ideas and - if I do intend to go along and use it - I'll perfect it later on. I just wanted to put them down somewhere so that I didn't forget!



So my idea was to use some sort of colour code for each emotion. However if I choose to do this I think I'll look into colours and their meanings a bit more.

Inspirations:
Joe Ciardiello
Bohemian Rhapsody - composition
Ralph Steadman

Conclusion:
I do find that by incorporating colour into this illustration does take away the attention to detail, so I don't think I'll use it after all and shall keep it black and white.
However I find this to be a powerful piece over all mainly due to the simple yet obvious meaning behind it, and the link between that and the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment