Wednesday 27 March 2013

FMP: Possible Ideas

This project will be the first that I create my own brief (aside from Design Factory where I created a brief that worked inside a brief) and because of this I spent the whole week thinking of possible project ideas.
Here are the ones that I think will have the most successful outcomes:

El Juicio de Paris by Enrique Simonet, 1904
Book Illustrations – Myths and Legends
The final major is a pretty big project, so it’s best for me to work with something that I know I will enjoy. I’ve always been a huge fan of myths and legends – especially Grecian and Egyptian – so I thought of the idea of doing illustrations to represent a myth or a series of myths. To start off I could do some research into different illustration styles such as art nouveau, and look at myths that aren’t so well known but are important to me. I really like the story of the apple of discord where Athena, Aphrodite and Hera fought over an apple over who was the fairest.



BV Photographie by Multiple Owners
Chinese Restaurant Branding 
I am also interested in branding so I thought that I would do a little stationary set for a mock Chinese restaurant. This could include a menu, little business card with opening hours, and maybe even a letterhead. However I would need to research Chinese culture as well as stationary sets that restaurants require in their branding.






Laura & Ryan by John Magnifico
Wedding Stationary Set 
This idea spun off the one I had about branding, because earlier on in the week my friend had received a wedding invitation from her brother. It was a very delicate and beautiful design, and inspired me to list it as one of my ideas for my final major project. What would be good about this project is that I could probably include some form of illustration in it or some calligraphic typography. There are so many things I could do with a stationary set design!






Conclusion: 
I have decided to go along with the wedding stationary set idea. This, in my opinion, would be easier than the branding as I would only create the invitation, R.S.V.P, directions card and food options.
Another reason for this is because although I do love illustration, I don’t think I would pursue illustration as a career and I wanted to do something more graphic-design-based. I want to combine both illustration and graphic design so that I could do something that will keep me interested and my ideas open, and so the wedding stationary set was the best idea.

 What I need to do now is create a mood board of existing designs as inspiration as well as create my “client”. I could also do a mood board to generate ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment