Monday 28 April 2014

FMP (BA): Back Book Cover - Design Process

I found it much easier to design the back cover because of the fact that I had completed my first. All that needs to be displayed on this is "designed by Liz J Owen". I was going to do this through hand-lettering but I then realised that I would need to write up the copyright notes and other notes on the inside with an existing font anyway.

Putting that aside, I first focused on positioning my book and quill which I decided to include on the back as a small illustration. This was quite easy to do as I just edited my original file. 
Then it was just a case of adding in my type. I was already set on using Minion Pro as it's a really elegant and easy-to-read typeface as well as a serif one which would connect with what they use on the Oxford Literary Festival website.


That's all I wanted to have for the back... It looks quite plain but that's because I'll be displaying most of the information on the inside pages.

So here's what both of my covers look like as a DPS:



Reflective Thinking - Summary

I'm not quite sure about the logo so I decided to thus go back to concentrating on the front cover and logo arrangement. I would like to add more information such as a blurb to the back, but I think I might do this when I have put everything into InDesign to carry out some test prints.

N.B. Please note that I had produced my front cover design process all at once, so this post may appear to have been posted after I had made my adjustments with the logo even though it was done around the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment