Monday 28 April 2014

FMP (BA): Information for the Other Pages

I want to start working on the other pages that would be displayed in the book, and that includes displaying some copyright information and possibly something about the Oxford Literary Festival.

As I wasn't entirely sure what to add I took some photos of my Harry Potter book (the French version) to see what they put in theirs.


For the first page of their book they have left it blank and on the second they had simply displayed the logo of the publisher, so I could possibly do the same but feature the FTweekend and Oxford Literary Festival logo as I don't really have a publisher as such. I have considered Oxford University Press but it seems that this book wouldn't fall into any of their categories... So I'll just use FTweekend for now.


For their third and forth page (as it were as I'm not including the blank sides), they have displayed some copyright information and whom the characters of the book belonged to as well as the date of publishing. Then on the forth page they have repeated the title and the author's name with a publisher right at the bottom of it.

On the fifth and sixth page they have included the first page of the story as well as acknowledgements. I'm not too sure if I'll do this myself as I am technically not the author, but I thought I'd include it here anyway just in case. 

In terms of copyright information, I could just write a list of where all of the quotes came from and then the designer (me) followed by "FTweekend". This is a rough idea of what it'll look like:

Original Texts:
"Call me Ishmael" - Moby Dick or The Whale (1851) Herman Melville
"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You!" - Happy Birthday to You! (1959) Dr. Seuss
"Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore'" - The Raven (1845) Edgar Allan Poe 
"It always seems impossible until it's done" - Nelson Mandela
"Not all those who wander are lost" - The Fellowship of the Ring (1954) J.R.R Tolkien
"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations" - The Fault in Our Stars (2012) John Green

© Designed by Liz J Owen, 2014 

© FTweekend Oxford Literary Festival, 2014 

Then on the other page I will just have the book title (which I might just copy and paste from the front book cover design).

Page Order

I have also managed to sort out what order my designs would be with the help of one of my lecturers:



Reflective Thinking - Summary

I am glad that I managed to find a small book to take reference and even though it fits in a different subject area, I can still use it because it follows a very similar format to the other books I have flicked through. 
It was still really helpful to look through this because if I do go down the method of using Blurb I need to figure out how to fill out the next 8 pages, so at least I have managed to fill up 3 more... Just need to figure out how to design the other 5!

My next step is to start designing the other pages and then hop over to InDesign to rearrange all of my designs so that they are ready to test print double-sided. I'm nearly there!

Learning Outcomes:
[4] Developed research skills in the area of contemporary professional practice.
[5] Developed skills of independent study, resource utilisation, problem-solving and decision-taking.
[8] Developed their ability to scan and organise data, abstract meaning from information and communicate knowledge in a variety of formats

No comments:

Post a Comment