Saturday 26 April 2014

Today's Thoughts

I feel that I am reaching a good stage to reflect on what's been happening with my work. I have not only produced double-paged spreads for all of the quote designs I have done but I have also managed to create a front cover for the book. 

I have just over three weeks to complete my design and have it readily presented for the examiner, so I have been thinking that I might create a new design. All of my quotes have been derived from literature sources... All but one; my Nelson Mandela design.
I feel that maybe I should create another that wasn't from literature so that it didn't seem too out of place but I am worried that I wouldn't have enough time. It took me at least a few weeks to produce good designs for the rest of my quotes and I wouldn't want to rush it. Besides, I still have to complete my book design and make a few tweaks to my existing DPS'.

I had a look back at the Oxford Literary Festival website to see if I could figure out the other topics that they cover just in case I do feel that I have enough time to produce another design. Here's a list of what I have jotted down:

  • Philosophy
  • Politics and Memoirs
  • Fiction
  • Music
  • Language and Literature
  • History
  • Fiction
  • Exploration, Travel and Travel History
  • Children and Young People
  • Current Affairs
Luckily, some of my designs might be able to fit into these categories:

  • Philosophy - "My fault are stars I cannot fathom into constellations"
  • Politics and Memoirs - "It always seems impossible until it's done"
  • Exploration, Travel and Travel History - "Not all those who wander are lost"
  • Children and Young People - "Today you are You... "

However they don't really "fit" in a sense that neither of these are from those subject areas. For example, "my thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations" isn't actually from a philosophical book. So there's a 50/50 chance that these designs would work.

On the other hand I wouldn't have to worry too much about this as my brief doesn't ask of me to design quotes in order to fit into the above categories as long as they are quotes/words. 

My decision is to therefore try and finish off my book cover and make tweaks to the DPS design before moving onto another quote, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment