Wednesday 23 April 2014

FMP (BA): DPS - Feedback & Reactions

I went into university today to print all of the DPS that I had done so far and asked my classmates and my lecturer for some feedback. All in all, the feedback I got was really good and there aren't many changes that I needed to make.

Below I have included all of the spreads that I showed to them and wrote beneath them what they said and what versions they chose. Those that are blank are ones that didn't require any adjustments. 

Feedback

Nelson Mandela


I got really positive feedback for this design, and the only thing that I would have to adapt (if I have the time) was to redo the type on the banner just to neaten it up a little bit.

J: I really like this as I think it's a strong design.

The Raven



My classmates really liked this design but they felt that they preferred the feathered background, so I am going to make the writing white and take out the white box as it detracted the attention away from the main illustration.

One of my close friends pointed out that some of the feathers in the patterned background were cut off at the top so I would have to go back to my original file to adjust it slightly.

Moby Dick



Dr. Seuss



Out of the two versions, everyone preferred the top because of it's colour and that it stands out from my other designs. All I need to do is reduce the size of the font slightly as it's quite close to the edge of that page.

A: Again personal preference, but I think this one is better because the blue fits in with Dr Seuss books and contrasts the red and white well. The other one looks a bit too harsh with the white background… I like it, it definitely made me think of the hat, also it fits in with the curvy shapes you've got with the lettering.

The Fault in Our Stars


LOTR - Not all Those Who Wander are Lost



In terms of improvement, there isn't much to add apart from (maybe) some little illustrations and "place" names. As my map is different to the original LOTR map, I am not able to add their place names because everything is set differently so I would have to come up with everything myself. 

It was quite hard for my classmates and lecturer to decide which version to go for as they are quite strong designs in terms of structure, but in the end I have decided to go with the one where the type is larger as it's more structured and doesn't get lost within the map .


My Reactions to the Feedback


Changes made:

  1. Made the type on the right-hand page a bit smaller so that it wasn't too close to the edge
  2. Shifted the title and name so that it was more central


Changes made:

  1. Adjusted the feather that was slightly cut off in the background pattern
  2. Made the type white
  3. Took away the lines that framed the text so that it looked more "free" on the page


Changes made:

  • Added in the illustrations of the dragon and boat
I'm not actually too sure about this because even though I used the same pens, the small illustrations look a different colour. This is probably because I had to reduce them to such a small scale and so it thinned out the lines. 


Reflective Thinking - Summary

I am really grateful for whatever feedback I receive from my classmates and lecturers, as not only do they point out the things I miss but I am also granted an insight to what kind of designs they prefer. Most prefer the Moby Dick design, which happens to be one of my favourites, and so it really makes me feel good about my work when other people like it as well.

This has to be the first project where I can clearly see my development; it's the second time that I've done a hand-lettering project and I've improved so much that it's making me really enjoy this new-found hobby. I have stumbled a few times and gotten frustrated with designs but in the end I find that they have been successful.

My next step is to now concentrate on the cover and this time make the cover relate to what's inside.

Learning Outcomes:
[5] Developed skills of independent study, resource utilisation, problem-solving and decision-taking.
[9] Developed their ability to work with complex material, analyse problems and identify appropriate solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment