Monday 21 April 2014

FMP (BA): Inspiration for Book Spreads

After the problems I faced when it came to designing the DPS for "The Raven", I have decided to compile a list of inspirational book spreads to help me with my future designs and to explain my inspirations for previous ones.


Fursy Teyssier/Les Discrets - http://www.lesdiscrets.com/

I have mentioned that I haven't managed to find the actual copy of his designs as it is removed from their website, so instead I had to use an image that I had looked at over a year ago from one of my previous projects.
Instead of analysing the illustration I shall only look at the format, which is what I'll do for the other spreads.

What really caught my eye was the way the illustration was clearly dominant as it slightly overlaps onto the other page, and is in such deep, dark colours that the text (which although appears to be in black) looks muted in comparison.
The structure of the text is quite unusual as well as there are several indents, especially beside the number 2 in Roman numerals. I quite like the fact that it's a mixture of a very strict, traditional, left-aligned text and then they have this break right at the end which really sets it apart.

To summarise, I am inspired by:

  • The mixture of traditional & contemporary design
  • A light background with a dark illustration - it really brings out the illustration




This is a stark contrast to the previous design because not only is the illustration on the other side, but it has an overall 'empty' feel to it. This is because there isn't any difference in background colour and that the illustration only consists of black lines. This allows the viewer to breathe and look at the illustration first - as it's much larger than the text - and then to the text.

To aid the viewer even further, the text has been split up into bite-size chunks so that it contains a steady flow. I wouldn't be able to produce the same effect as I will only show the author's name and book title, but I thought it was still quite inspirational. Perhaps I could use something similar on one of the inside pages?

I think the overall format is very inspirational for my Nelson Mandela design as the illustration I had done for that is really minimal and doesn't have much colour to it. I could probably follow the same structure for that and instead of including a black background on the other page, I could just make it white.

To summarise, I am inspired by:
  • The clean appearance - minimalist design


Relax-Art - http://www.relax-art.com/bookdesign-poetry.html

This spread seem to follow the same format as the first one; the main illustration is on the right and clearly dominates the overall design as it overlaps the other page slightly. Some of the illustration is even imitated on the upper left-hand corner which emphasises this dominance.

I had used this design as inspiration for my The Raven piece where I had some of the feathers 'leak' from the design and carry across to the other page, but as it was a heavily detailed piece it didn't work as well as it does here. The designer had probably thought about displaying the illustration over a DPS right at the beginning whereas I'm trying to work with what I've already produced.

Even though I cannot use it as inspiration now in terms of layout, I do really like how there's quite a lot of "white" space. It makes it easier for the viewer to read the long text which had been broken up to provide a sense of flow which is very similar to the previous design.

To summarise, I am inspired by:
  • The clean appearance - minimalist design
  • How the illustration overlaps to the other page



Even though this isn't a book spread I am using this map as a great source of inspiration for my Lord of the Rings design. I had already begun to make one of the pages look like the map so I'm hoping to extend it slightly in the same style as this one. I quite like the edge of it so I might imitate it to strengthen the connotations that my quote is derived from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. 

Another aspect that I wish to include to strengthen the Lord of the Rings semblance would be the Tree of Gondor. This would connect deeply with the character of the quote - Aragorn, son of Arathorn - so I might create it in the form of the compass. The compass in this map only showcases where North is, which I might also mimic in my design. 

I like how the compass is set apart from the map as the surrounding white space highlights its importance. It also lessens the 'busy' atmosphere that is within the map due to the intricate lettering and illustrations. This gives me the idea of displaying the author's name and book title right beneath the compass as it would thus appear to be the name of my 'map' (therefore "naming" the quote).

There is another version of this map that I also want to include, the reason being the way they had displayed the map's name. I am unsure at this moment in time of how I would present the author's name and title (and idea is to have it placed beneath the compass) so I want to keep my options open. 



The 'scroll' that surrounds "Middle Earth" emphasises the fantasy appearance. There are small vines that entwines the banner, creating connotations of Art Nouveau and Illuminated Manuscripts. As I have read the books, connotations of Thranduil's (king of the Wood Elves) crown is also created as well as Galadriel's (another royal Elf) crown. All in all, it relates to the beautiful craft created by Elves which were one of the long-surviving races of Middle Earth. 

To summarise, I am inspired by:
  • The general layout - the separation of busy and minimalist
  • The compass' design 
  • Intricate illustrations
  • The scroll in the second map

Reflective Thinking - Summary

I had analysed the above in very brief paragraphs so that I was able to quickly jot down some notes on what inspired me and then act upon that inspiration. I feel that in previous analysis' I have perhaps gone into too much detail and wasn't able to act upon the inspiration, and so even though I am not able to pick out as many connotations I can hopefully still learn and draw from them.

I hope to go into further detail in other inspirational designs but I felt that for this section I was mainly focusing on structure rather than the actual illustrations and type choices. I had already produced both of these, and just needed an idea of how to present them. 

I shall keep looking back at these inspirations in order to spark some new ideas. 

Learning Outcomes:
[4] Developed research skills in the area of contemporary professional practice.
[6] Developed skills of critical thinking, analysis and evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment