Thursday 24 January 2013

Business Card Design - Sketches and Design

When I phoned up my client to ask them about the business card, they really knew exactly what they wanted on it; they wanted the logo to be centred on the back on a black background, with the shattered glass type on the other side with their contact number and Facebook page directly underneath.
This made it much easier for me to go through the designing process although I did some sketches previously so that I was "prepared" for when I called them.

The Final Design




Inspiration
(From my research post. You can view all of my annotations and thoughts by clicking here)




Sketches
So by keeping my inspirational designs in mind I started to do some sketches. I wanted to experiment with as many ideas as possible, but then decided that it might be easier to contact my client to ask for their specifications.



My client was very specific in their design, and this was a rough idea of what they wanted (I sketched this out while I was on the phone to them so I could ask them any questions there and then).


And because of how specific they were I was able to go straight onto InDesign with this sketch in mind!

Screenshots of Designing Process
I start up InDesign and put in the dimensions 85x55mm (standard business card size) with three columns, and hit enter. I began to place everything onto the document including all of the details that I thought the client would want to be included.
I made the background black by drawing with the Rectangle tool, filling it in black, and then press Send to Back. Because the type was originally black I had to Lock the background object so that I could change the type to white.

 I then opened up Illustrator and copied and pasted the logo onto a New Document, then made it white. I did the same of the shattered type. I deleted the information that Jonny Pain didn't want displayed on the business card and filled in all of the correct details.

Now the URL to Jonny Pain's FaceBook is facebook.com/j0nnypain, but of course in Bebas Neue "o" looks the same as "0", so I had to think of a way to differentiate between the two. The only thing I could think of was changing the "0" to a different colour as well as the "0" in their phone number to make it more obvious. They wanted to use the colour blue.

And voila! Here is the final thing:



Conclusion:
I think it helped that I contacted my client before I got completely carried away with the sketching, but I'm glad that I did do some sketches beforehand so that I was prepared if they didn't know what they wanted to be displayed. It was a pretty "quick" process, much quicker than my last project where I had to create my own business card (that was mainly due to not knowing what to do). 
This has taught me that I must always keep in contact with my client so that I don't end up with a design that they don't like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment