Wednesday 16 January 2013

Deep Roots (2)


To see the original version alongside my annotations, please click here.

So I have made some adjustments to the design... The reason being was that I had shown Angela Rizza, who was my inspiration to for this piece, and she actually replied to my message! This is what she said:

"Hey, looking really good! The texture you created is great and there’s a beautiful uniqueness about each branch, so they don’t look repetitive. If you want to help make things stand out a bit, I’d add some thicker lines, made with a brush. Just a few, such as one going down the side of the tree, two or three on the lower side of branches, and a few outlining the roots. This will help create a simple illusion of light and add a bit of contrast to the piece. If you want I can show you an example in photoshop of what I’m talking about. Looking good!"

She then pointed out the areas where I could add thickness, and with a thin brush I thickened the lines in watercolour! I usually do this with biro so it was a bit of an experiment to me. 
I'm glad I did thicken these lines because it really does bring depth to the piece, and it doesn't look so flat anymore. I think that I might continue to use this method in future :D

No comments:

Post a Comment