Tuesday 8 January 2013

Forest Inspiration

Connor - one of the members of the band "Jonny Pain" - mentioned having a spooky edge to the CD cover, with perhaps a misty forest of some sort. So I've gone along and did some sketches of forests as one of my ideas - as shown in one of my previous posts - but I want to know what is it that makes a forest spooky/eerie. I also want to look at composition and see what would work best for the cover.

Dark by Sebbri http://sebbri.deviantart.com/art/Dark-40174819

As soon as I saw this I felt as it I was walking down the forest past and through the trees. This is probably because of the way the photographer held their camera as they were taking this – they could’ve done it at a slight angle – so that it “focuses” more on the path. To help the photograph lead the eye across the path, there is some sort of grey mist that lightens it. This creates an eerie kind of scene because it has softened the edges of the trees to make them appear friendlier, although the dark shadows that masks the trees on the left hides whatever lurks there.

Conclusion: I like how instead of the trees being the main focal point, the path is, and the photographer has emphasised this by angling their camera down at it.


In the Dark Forest by CountessBloody -
 http://countessbloody.deviantart.com/art/In-the-dark-forest-151691539
The main focal point would have to be the mist hovering in the centre of the pathway; I can’t see anything of the path behind it, and can just imagine a headless horseman just waltzing right through it waving his sword around like a mad man (I have just watched Sleepy Hollow by Tim Burton…). There isn’t really much to see in this photograph because of the lack of colour and the very dark shadows. The grey sky reveals the treetops and some spiny branches, and the mist does illuminate part of the path, but apart from that I can’t really see anything. There is a slight “vignette” around the piece so the image could be placed onto the background, but I think that this means that the image overall looks slightly restricted and small.

Conclusion: Never use too much shadow! It takes away a lot of detail in the piece.  

To Be In The Dark by Nelleke-
http://nelleke.deviantart.com/art/To-Be-In-The-Dark-338760950
This was the first photo that belonged in the category of "dark forests" that had a bit of colour to it. The contrast between the dark trees and the red leaves on the ground creates a bold appearance, although the red fades slightly as the blue mist caresses the ground. There is some hint of green – or is it yellow? – in the leaves that are still on the trees, and it is this subtle colour that brings the trees to life. If it had not been for the yellow the trees would’ve looked bare like the ones you see in winter.
The deep shadows hides most of the detailing in the branches in the foreground, but in the background where the shadows aren’t so deep there are some hints of other shapes such as the leaves and also the gaps between each branch. The deep shadows create a spooky connotation because we cannot see if there is anything lurking amongst the trees safe for the man sitting down at the bench. Was he a distraction? We do not really know. It’s quite hard to tell whether this is a “friendly” forest or one that you could get easily lost in.
It’s surprising how much detail the camera has picked up because I could also “feel” the texture of the floor-ridden leaves. They look as if I could sink my feet into them and never be able to see my shoes!

Composition-wise, this sort of photo would be brilliant for a CD cover because the tips of the trees have faded into black, so the type could be easily placed above it without covering the image. I would definitely like to do something like this!

Conclusion: The balance between the shadows and detail is brilliant; there isn’t too much to look at, nor too little. I like the idea of the black gradient on the tips of the treetops, because it could easily be placed onto a black background where I could possibly place the type. The mixture of different colours is wonderful, and the blue mist rather than a white one creates an eerie edge. 

Dark Forest by Bojkovski -
 http://bojkovski.deviantart.com/art/Dark-forest-332669264

This composition is different to the others, because the perspective makes it appear as if we, the viewer, are looking upwards towards the sky. To help this the photographer has enhanced the gradient at the bottom so that our eyes naturally go upwards where it’s lighter.

Conclusion: When I saw this I added the perspective to one of my sketches (as you can see on my previous post) although I felt that it didn’t work out as well as I had intended. It’s hard to place the type anywhere but at the bottom and I prefer to have more of a choice than that! 

Dark Forest by Beyzayildirim77 -
 http://beyzayildirim77.deviantart.com/art/dark-forest-277451289

In my first sketch I experimented by drawing a treeline, so I went and looked for an image that also has a treeline so that I could see whether the trees are at a similar height or not. From this image I can see that the trees are relatively the same height and the only hint of detail are in the very top branches. I assume that this is because of the cluster of trees have blocked any light coming through.


Conclusion: I really like the treeline idea because I could make the viewer focus on the moon or the type a lot more. 

Overall Conclusion: After looking at all of these different perspectives and compositions, I have decided to continue with my tree-line idea. This is because I would find it easier to place my type onto the page without it obscuring the imagery or making the design too busy. Jonny Pain mentioned having a design like Iron Maiden, and I find a tree-line would be best because (as I have shown in my sketches) I could place the skull faintly where the moon is on the design I had analysed just above. 


Different Tree-line Compositions

To make it easier for me to sketch out the whole tree-line idea I have created a small moodboard of all of the images I have found that I'll use as references.




From all of these photographs I have noticed that the trees are normally around the same height, although many overlap each other. What I mean by this is that there's a layer at the back, and a shorter layer in front of that etc. Generally speaking, most of these trees are the same height and we don't see their "full body" unless there's only a thin lines of them. 

Conclusion: 
So when I draw up my tree-line I need to think of how many "layers" of trees I'll be drawing as I will need to think whether or not I need to show the whole shape of the tree, or just the outline of the treetops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment