Wednesday 5 February 2014

FMP (BA): Calligraphy Exercise - "Afterall, Tomorrow Is Another Day"

After seeing how successful my last experiment was I decided to have another stab at hand-lettering, but this time try and focus on the "illustration & type" style that I had looked at in the previous post. I really liked Tobias Saul's work, and wanted to try something similar.

I just picked a random quote off of my list to play about with. I initially wanted to experiment with my dip pens a little further but got distracted by Saul's work and started to create some layouts. 


At this point I got a little bit stuck in terms of layout, and read up on an article where the hand-letterer normally draws up a list of words associated with the quote they're writing. I decided to try this out for myself in a mindmap.



I had a few ideas rolling so I tried out doing some layouts again.


It was either too early in the morning or I just felt so uninspired that I got a bit distracted and decided to try out my dip pens, drawing up several alphabets - both script and sans serif - to see what kind of writing is best for the nib I was using at the time. 






And that was it for that quote! I didn't really know where I was going with it so I took a break and went along with illustrating an entirely new quote which you'll see in the next post!

Reflective Thinking - Summary
Here I've just experimented with my dip pens and tried to figure out how exactly to do this quote, and I think I may have just reached the reason why I have found it so hard to do. It's because I didn't actually look into the story behind the quote and have only focused on making the quote 'pretty' and according to what I have gathered from it.
I really, really need to do my research and look into the story of Gone with the Wind. Until then I should probably not continue to produce a design because I can just see it being time-consuming especially if it doesn't work out. I don't want to produce the wrong connotations. 

I guess it's a good thing that I've realised my mistake now before I continue designing my quote. Not only did it save time but it saved me the embarrassment of presenting it to someone who knows the story very well and not knowing what I was trying to achieve or asking, "Oh have you seen/read it?" I really should've done my research properly way before sketching it out. 

I hope to come back to this quote soon just so I can try out different compositions after I find out more about the story. This will help me out later on during my sketching and designing process as I would have already experimented with the illustration & type style of hand-lettering. When I do go back to this, I'll just add it under this post but shall include the date. 

Learning Outcomes:
[6] Developed skills of critical thinking, analysis and evaluation.
[7] Developed their ability to learn through reflection on practice and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment