Monday 10 February 2014

FMP (BA): Quotes Contin.

Now that it's been decided that my project is focusing on literature I need to collect a new set of quotes that's solely from books & poems. I have included the ones that I had originally researched, but will add some newer ones so that when it comes to practicing with type I can easily pick one from the list.

I need to make sure that the books these quotes originate from are relatively well-known, but I suppose it wouldn't matter if I threw in a lesser-known narrative as long as it's from a book/poem because the Oxford Literary Festival will attract a wide range of book enthusiasts.

Literature

"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy" - F. Scott Fizgerald, The Crack Up
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R.R. Tolkien
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
“Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.” ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
“What a slut time is. She screws everybody.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
“The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
"All children, except one, grow up." - J.M. Barrie: Peter Pan (1911)
“To die would be an awfully big adventure.” ― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
"Mother died today. Or maybe, yesterday; I can't be sure." - Albert Camus: The Stranger (1946)
"Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night." - William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
"You are my heart, my life, my one and only thought." - Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
"Soldiers are dreamers; when the guns begin
They think of firelit homes, clean beds and wives." - Siegfried Sassoon, Dreamers
"After all, tomorrow is another day" - Gone With The Wind
"You are, and have always been, my dream." - Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde, The Happy Price and Other Stories
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
“Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” ― William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” ― Dr. Seuss, Happy Birthday to You!
“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
 “Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” ― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid
 “Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson, The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
“It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
“You don’t forget the face of the person who was your last hope.” ― Suzanne Collins, The Hunger
Games
“A person's a person, no matter how small.” ― Dr. Seuss, Horton Hears a Who!
“Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.” ― William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night
“Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have.” ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
“Jesus!" Luke exclaimed. 
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling.” - Cassandra Clare, City of Bones
“Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.” ― Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games
"Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'"- Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven

Politics & Politicians

"I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end." - Margaret Thatcher
"Life without liberty is like a body without spirit." - Khalil Gibran
"It always seems impossible until it's done." - Nelson Mandela
"It's a funny old world." - Margaret Thatcher
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
"Be sure to put your feet in the right place, then stand firm." - Abraham Lincoln
"The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time." - Abraham Lincoln
"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln
"The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend." - Abraham Lincoln

Travel

"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao Tzu (Laozi)
“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sources: The Telegraph ; http://www.stylist.co.uk/books/top-50-most-romantic-lines-from-literature ; http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/171922http://www.goodreads.com/quotes?http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_politics.htmlhttp://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/n/nelson_mandela.html; http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/abraham_lincoln.htmlhttp://matadornetwork.com/bnt/50-most-inspiring-travel-quotes-of-all-time/

No comments:

Post a Comment