Saturday 1 February 2014

FMP (BA): Embracing My Handwriting

I wasn't able to explore that much into calligraphy during my last project so for this one I would like to have at least one of my quotes in that style. I found this article via “The Fozzy Book”, a blog run by a hand-letterer, which explains that we should embrace our own hand-lettering and turn it into something calligraphic.

To embrace my hand writing I had to first write out a word multiple times on a piece of paper, and I've done it with a biro pen and a micron at 005.


Then it was time to move onto one of my Dip Pens and the first one I tried out was the “roundhand” versions. I found in my previous experiment that the roundhand was a lot easier to use although it doesn't really vary in thickness.


I next moved onto the “copperplate” versions and found it really difficult in terms of having the right amount of ink as I made quite a mess where I had used too much ink. I noticed that this kind of Dip Pen had to be 'topped up' a lot more which means that I was a lot slower in writing out my word.




I got a bit tired of my useless attempts due to my inexperience so I went along and just wrote some random French words because French looks really nice in my handwriting. I then used a technique I did before where I would write out the word in my normal handwriting and then add some thick and thin strokes later on. I carried on with this technique onto the next page.




Conclusion:
It's obvious that I do need to practice more with my Dip Pens and look at video tutorials to see how they hold the pen and use the ink. I'll also try out different paper stock because I noticed that it was much easier to write on smoother paper. Maybe now is the right time to do some research!

Learning Outcomes:
[3] Developed written and oral skills of critical self-evaluation in relation to their design practice.
[5] Developed skills of independent study, resource utilisation, problem-solving and decision-taking.
[7] Developed their ability to learn through reflection on practice and experience.
[9] Developed their ability to work with complex material, analyse problems and identify appropriate solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment