Wednesday 5 March 2014

FMP (BA): "It Always Seems Impossible Until It's Done"

The Final Piece




The Process

I mentioned in my last post when I was struck by an idea while I was sitting on the train home and how it was better than my original design because it linked in with Nelson Mandela and his moment of freedom. 


After choosing the most appropriate sketch - another thing I mentioned in my previous post - I spent the next day drawing it out and finishing it off. It didn't take as long as I thought because I had an idea of exactly what I want it, and as soon as I got the thumbs up from my lecturer I just went along and did it.


Sketching

This was what my sketch looked like; it was a lot neater than my original sketch and I changed the fingers slightly and fixed the wrists. Then I just drew a fluid ribbon around it so that I know where I put the writing and quickly scribbled his name at the bottom to see it would fit.



Once that was done I outlined it with different thickness' in micron pen. I first outlined everything in 01, did the smaller details in 005, and then drew the thicker sections over the 01 with 02. I wanted to create some sort of perspective so I made the places where the hands overlapped each other thicker as well as the places the ribbon would overlap the hands. Looks like I'm able to use my line-art skills here!


With the lines done I photocopied it a couple of times so that I could experiment. 

Experimentation

During this time I took about half an hour just practicing with Indian Ink because it was something I haven't really used before and I wanted to try out brush lettering. I wasn't very good at it but I least I tried! Here is a photo of all of my attempts:


Even though I wasn't that good at brush lettering I did like how fluid it was. I realised that Indian Ink was the best material to use for blocking out colours, so I photocopied my original sketch and painted in one of the hands. I immediately saw successful results; because the ink was so fluid and so thick it didn't show any overlapping lines so it looked like it was one, block colour. It reminded me of Nelson Mandela's own painting where he just inked his own hand onto the paper (which you can see here).



Putting It Together

So I've done the drawing so all there is left to do is figure out what kind of type I want to do. I would like to use my own handwriting as it's quite delicate so would heavily contrast with the thick lines and block colours in the illustration but I thought I'd be on the safe side and try a few things out.
I took out some tracing paper and then tried out different handwriting styles.


I'm going to settle with my own handwriting idea; like I said before it's delicate and therefore would provide a contrast, but it's also quite smooth which could soften the appearance slightly and strengthen the 'peace' slightly. Nelson Mandela's handwriting is looped as well but a little bit more upright so it kind of looks like his handwriting.

Photoshop

Once everything was sorted all I had to do now was scan it in and then adjust it to make it completely black and white. I did a few other things like made the fingernails grey and used Adjustments > Threshold so that anything grey on it was cleared so that only black and white pigments were left.




Critical & Reflective Thinking

I am much more at ease with this piece than my original one, as I begin to realise that knowing the subject well does affect the overall outcome. This one relates to Nelson Mandela a lot more and it highlights the importance of his work and that he united black and white people in South Africa. This handshake took place right after he was released when he approached President de Klerk, and instead of responding with violence he responded with peace and became president a couple of years later.
It also relates to him because, unknown to quite a few people, he had done his own artwork while he was in prison and one of them was where he inked his own hand onto the paper. I tried to imitate this by using a block colour.

I also tried to imitate his handwriting but it was a bit too difficult so instead I just wrote in my own handwriting as it does look quite similar. He also does looped and joined letters, but his is a bit more upright rather than slanted. Nevertheless the use of my own cursive handwriting softens the overall appearance as it's quite delicate therefore contrasts with the strong, block colours of the illustration. 

My bird papercut wasn't appropriate for this design at all and I'm kicking myself for doing it, but at least I was able to try out new techniques even though it would've been a lot better for a different quote. The older version gave a completely different message in that it mainly focused on peace but it completely ignored the hardships that Nelson Mandela went through and the importance of the final outcome. This handshake shows the peace between two races and that was all thanks to Nelson Mandela.

Next time I know that I need to do my research before jumping into the design process because the tone of the final outcome is just so important, and if I didn't do my research... Well, my design wouldn't be as good and it could completely affect the overall atmosphere. I guess I am glad that I made such a mistake and came to terms with it... Just imagine if I had carried on and not realised! I mean it did mean that I had to spend more time doing it and having to take a few steps backwards but it was all worth it.

Okay so now that I'm really confident with this I can move onto adjusting my Dr. Seuss quote because dayum, that one really needs changing.

Learning Outcomes:
[3] Developed written and oral skills of critical self-evaluation in relation to their design practice.
[9] Developed their ability to work with complex material, analyse problems and identify appropriate solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment