Sunday 16 March 2014

FMP (BA): Oscar Wilde's Quote Sketch

Having finished my LOTR quote I immediately moved onto a new one. I'm getting a bit worried about how little time I have left and after realising that I might have to not only produce six more designs but change everything to double-paged spreads... Well, that made me panic a little.

I spent the whole weekend building up on my initial ideas and forbid myself to go on the computer unless it was to look at reference images, and I only allowed myself to look for inspiration for a few minutes at a time if needed. Despite this, I actually found myself producing more ideas even though there were only slight differences between them.

I stopped after producing two pages of ideas as I realised that they were getting quite stagnate. I circled around two of my strongest ideas to look back on the next day.




The next day I went back to my sketches and built up the strongest ones. This still took quite a while but I managed to come up with a suitable idea. I actually based my type layout around the illustration of the rocket firework - the main character of Wilde's story - as I find it easier to design that way.


I produced a better sketch of this idea and first concentrated on the illustration before moving to the type. It was actually quite difficult for me to decide on a layout even with my thumbnail sketch so I used tracing paper to help me out. Funnily enough I managed to figure it out almost instantly with the tracing paper and then drew it out on the sketch.


After the developed sketch was done I drew the final line art on tracing paper as I didn't have a light box. This actually turned out really well because the micron pens didn't run or smear across the surface despite it feeling a little waxy, and when I scanned it in I placed a sheet of white paper behind it so that it looked as if it was drawn on white paper.




Now it's just the case of making adjustments and colouring on Photoshop!


Critical & Reflective Thinking - Summary

My idea was that I would have the rocket circling around the page only to end up facing downwards, unlike 'true' fireworks where they shoot up into the sky. The reason for this is because I wanted to show that no matter how clever and magnificent he thinks he is, no one actually saw him go off, and he never shot up in the sky and created a beautiful display like he said he would. Instead he just goes off with a small bang which no one heard nor seen, much like the viewer would never see in this illustration, but would see sparks from other fireworks.

I am quite satisfied with this outlook right now as it does look different to my other designs which will provide my book some variety. I took my time with the sketching process but I feel that they could've still have been further developed... Nevertheless, I shall carry on with what I have and make any adjustments, but I would be more than happy to change it.
This is because I worry that I'm jumping straight into a design which has proven to be one of the downsides of having such a short time schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment