Saturday 1 March 2014

How Do I Find My Voice? My Style?


I watched this video the other day by James Victore who talked about how to find our own voice. Finding my voice is one of the most important things to be because I want people to have a look at my work and go, "Hey! That looks like it was done by Lizzie!"
I've only come to think of this recently when I began to take illustration a bit more seriously. I want to be able to do it in future after I leave university and during my last project I enjoyed doing it so much when I incorporated type.

You can imagine how happy I was when I found someone talking about this video and decided to check it out for myself. It's really short and sweet, and what the guy said was mind-blowing.
It was just so simple.

How could finding my voice be as simple as he puts it? He talks about how we, as creative people, are desperately searching for inspiration to find things that are in 'fashion' that we're just repeating and recycling designs so that it's not really 'us'. Here's a quick way on how to get our voice (as he describes):

1) Learn everything
2) Forget it
3) Design

It's crazy how simple it sounds and how I've never thought about it before. To all those who are reading this, you should definitely watch it and some of his other videos! He's very inspirational.

Reflective Learning - A Summary

After watching this video it made me think of how I was handling my project and the reason I was getting so stumped was because I'm trying a completely different technique and making it much harder for myself than it actually is. What I should do is revert back to what I was doing originally because not only would I get more work out of it but I could always showcase my experiments so if there's anything wrong I can quickly resolve it before I cause any more damage.
My next step is thus to completely restart my schedule so it looks a bit like this:

1) Learn everything - create blog posts of different type styles and analyse them, and do the same with inspirational pieces
2) Forget it all - move onto a different type of research such as book binding and then do some bookbinding
3) Design - start designing some more quotes from what I've learnt. If I am stuck I could always look back at my Pinterest board.

OR (if I'm going to carry on with the schedule I have so far)

1) Learn everything  - write quote down and think of it's voice, collect lots of different inspirational pieces and type styles
2) Forget it all - shove it all to the side
3) Design - start designing and sketching

The list above is (obviously) heavily inspired by the technique he talks about and it looks like it could work! I wish I had found his videos sooner, because now I'm worried that I'm running out of time.

It's a bit annoying because of the fact I keep changing my schedule and it's kind of messing up my project (and my mind hahaha). This then made me think... OH DEAR. I might have to just scrap what I said before!

Annoying, isn't it?

I'm so sorry if I'm confusing everyone! I'm just writing exactly what I'm thinking of to ease my mind. But to summarise everything I've just said I have created two kind of timetables so I need to figure out which one would be best for me.

Learning Outcomes:
[2] Developed a high level of intellectual and conceptual involvement with their chosen subject area, including skills of project proposal, documentation of project development and the presentation of outcomes.
[6] Developed skills of critical thinking, analysis and evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment