Thursday 6 March 2014

FMP (BA): Sean De Burca's Visit at Uni

Hand letterer and graphic designer Sean de Burca came to visit our university today to talk through his design process. As soon as I found out about the visit I made sure that I stayed behind so that I could ask him a few questions about his work.

I'm still relatively new to the topic and there were a few things on my mind; how did he make his type so accurate? How did he know what style to use? 
Turns out that he actually works on a letter, measures it, and then uses the same measurements across the rest of his letters. I would quite like to use a similar technique because his type looks really neat, almost as if it's computer generated. 
In terms of style it was all down to research and what the client was looking for, so maybe I should perceive each author as being my client and figuring out the best way to represent them. 

Here are some images taken from his presentation slides:






His links:


Reflective Thinking - Summary

This "lecture" was actually really inspirational as it shows what I could achieve with lots of practice. I hope that I am able to work with different type styles and not just my own handwriting and that "fun" style that Steve Simpson does, and it'll be nice to do something like Blackletter. Even though I'm not working on a Blackletter piece right now I shall keep his work in mind in case I need it for inspiration in the future.

In his work he always makes sure that his type has the same width and height and that everything is consistent. Right now I'm working on my own handwriting techniques so wouldn't need to take this into account just yet, but I'll keep this in mind in the future. It was nice to see his sketches alongside his final pieces because it just shows how much work goes into them. 

The main aspect of his work is that his sketches are always near-accurate so that it's easier to clean up on the computer. I have been using a similar technique with my Dr. Seuss piece, but maybe I should focus on it a bit more to make it easier for me, as I am struggling quite a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment