Tuesday 18 March 2014

FMP (BA): New Quotes

When I was doing my sketches for the Oscar Wilde quote I decided to hop back onto the Oxford Literary festival website to see what other topics they cover so that I could decide on my next quote. That was when I had the feeling that maybe the designs I had done so far weren't suitable for this project...

This is because some of the quotes aren't that well-known and I feel that maybe I should look at quotes from 'classical' books that literary-enthusiasts would know of. 

I mentioned these thoughts to a family friend and she confirmed that I should stay away from books such as Harry Potter and instead look at Charles Dickens' Oliver, Pride and Prejudice, and other similar books.

I have calculated that I have four weeks left including this one to produce my quotes before I have to move onto thinking about the book covers and printing techniques, so that means I have time for four more quotes. Due to this small timeframe I think that I shall leave my Oscar Wilde quote for now and concentrate on finding at least two or three new quotes that fit with this classical theme, and then go back to it. I have already produced an ideal layout for the Oscar Wilde quote but I would just need to figure out what typefaces to use... Here is my sketch so far:



Because of this realisation and wanting the quotes to fit my target audience I have compiled a new list of possible quotes. I don't think I shall replace any of the quotes I have but just build the book up with classical ones so that I could mix up the pages between classical and non-classical. This means that I would still be aiming at the target audience.

New list:

“Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life.” - HG Wells, The Time Machine
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." — Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins." —Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita
"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." — Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
"I am an invisible man." —Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way." - Charles Dickens, The Tale of Two Cities
"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." George Orwell, 1984
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since. Whenever you feel like criticising any one, he told me, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.” - F.Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."- L. P. Hartley, The Go-Between
“Call me Ishmael.” - Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
“The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new.” - Samuel Beckett, Murphy
"All children, except one, grow up." - J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
"Mother died today. Or maybe, yesterday; I can't be sure." - Albert Camus, L'Etranger (The Stranger)
"There was no possibility of taking a walk that day." - Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre
"Quoth the Raven: Nevermore." - Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven


References: https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/3234863-the-time-machinehttp://americanbookreview.org/100bestlines.asphttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/9817505/30-great-opening-lines-in-literature.html?frame=2458291http://www.theguardian.com/culture/gallery/2012/apr/29/ten-best-first-lines-fiction;

No comments:

Post a Comment