Wednesday 5 March 2014

FMP (BA): You Are You Contin (again)

The Final (hopefully) Piece


The Process

It seems like I'm continuously going back to this! As much as I love lettering... This is getting a bit annoying...
I joke, I joke. I mean it's all part of the learning process, right? To always go back and find things to change that you didn't notice before? 
Well hopefully this will be the last time that I drastically change this piece because I am getting a bit worried that I'm running out of time.

My idea is to basically take out the hat completely and just focus on rearranging the type according to the structure I quickly sketched out when I got home from the long train journey. Hopefully this wouldn't take too long to do (but digital stuff always does, sigh). So here goes!


I first started by creating a new document and placing all of the images that I needed around it such as my sketch and the older version. Then it was just the case of creating a new layer for the text and arranging everything roughly where I wanted it to be. I also added in some red blocks for the stripes because I thought that that would really bring the words out, and that's when I started to arrange everything properly.


Because of the angle of some of the letters I had to adjust them so that they could sit on a straight line. This didn't take as long as I thought (surprisingly) so I was able to do most of the lines fairly quickly. This involved moving the anchor points so that they aligned with the guides I created.


With everything in their proper section it was now time to copy and paste the Dr. Seuss part. I was a bit worried about this because it doesn't look as if there would be any room so I was just going to see what happens anyway. I had to shift the "youer than you" quite a lot.



That's when I got a bit fed up and then realised that maybe I should reduce the size of all of the text to allow more room for the Dr. Seuss, so I did exactly that and shifted it around and... It worked! Woohoo!




Critical & Reflective Thinking
This new design really does allow the type to breathe and takes away that claustrophobic appearance that the old one posed. If it wasn't for the feedback I got from my classmates and my mum I wouldn't thought of changing this which just shows how important gathering feedback is. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad that I've redone this because this one is a lot better than my previous one.

I already mentioned that overcrowding was one of my main factors in the last one but it was also too obviously connected to Dr. Seuss. I don't want my designs to be blatant, I want a little hint of subtleness  to allow the reader to connect the dots themselves then have little signs dotted around it saying, "OH LOOK IT'S DR SEUSS." A good design is one that makes you think slightly. Well, that's what I thought when I analysed some inspirational pieces earlier.

I don't think there's anything else I would do to this piece now as I've used redundancy to break it down and I don't think I could do it any further unless I take out the stripes as well. I don't think I'll do that though because the stripes really bring out the words, especially the red areas, as well as provide that 'signature' Dr. Seuss style. I'm so glad that I had a copy to work on so that it was just a case of rearranging a few things!

I'll take what I've learnt about this; that a design will never be perfect the first time and it's not unusual to always go back to it. Luckily I've still got time on my hands to adjust a few things before moving onto a new quote. 


Learning Outcomes:
[3] Developed written and oral skills of critical self-evaluation in relation to their design practice.
[5] Developed skills of independent study, resource utilisation, problem-solving and decision-taking.
[9] Developed their ability to work with complex material, analyse problems and identify appropriate solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment