Monday 3 March 2014

FMP (BA): "You Are You..." Contin

The Final Piece



The Process

I wanted to develop this design because even though I'm going to be selecting a few of the most appropriate ones for the festival I just know that this design was "me". I've started to find my own voice with this and because I enjoyed doing it so much... Well, why not include it?

I brought the design back up in Illustrator to tweak the design slightly according to the annotations I made (which you can see here in a previous post). 

The following changes I made were:
  • Used a brighter yellow for "Today" and "NO ONE" to bring out the white stroke in the middle
  • Fixed the curve in the 'y' in "youer" as well as adjusting the 'u' so that it looked similar to the one used in "you"
  • Shifted the letters in "than" (before true) so that it was more spread out and looks like it's an actual word than something split into sections 



Reflective Learning: Summary
All of the changes above were mentioned by both my lecturers and classmates. I really do value their opinions because it helps me become a better designer as well as being able to notice things quickly. I will remember everything they had pointed out for when I next do a similar design.

While I was doing this little 'project' I really enjoyed flicking through Dr. Seuss' illustrations as it brought back childhood memories and brought out the 'fun' side of me. I briefly looked at such a type style in my previous project and that's where my love of hand-lettering grew. I really liked doing this kind of hand-lettering and would love to do it again.
However if I do choose to do this style I need to make sure that it looks completely different (or as different as can be) because I want each page to echo each chosen quote. Obviously it would be okay if I chose an equally quirky quote but those are pretty hard to find. 

This is probably the first time where I enjoyed the whole process - even the digital side - to hand-lettering because I was able to incorporate illustration. The only downside was that it probably took a little longer than it should and maybe I should minimise the amount of "typefaces" in it, but the different styles really sets the quirky mood. 

In terms of why I chose to use the Cat in the Hat (Sam-I-Am)'s hat as the main illustration for this piece was because he was one of the most prominent characters throughout Dr. Seuss' books. During my research stages I notice that other designers - for example, in stationery design - they have used his stripes and his hat beside Dr. Seuss' logo. His numerous appearances in design is what made me realise that he is an instantly recognisable character, and that was the reason why I chose him.

Now I can move onto going back to my Nelson Mandela design - which is something completely different - so it looks like I need to step away from the fun type and do a more serious design. If I do do this kind of style again I think it would be a lot easier for me because I've slowly gotten used to Illustrator and the Pen Tool.

Learning Outcomes:
[5] Developed skills of independent study, resource utilisation, problem-solving and decision-taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment