Monday 17 March 2014

FMP (BA): Today's Thoughts

After today's session I wanted to take a step back from the designing process and look back at my inspirational mood board that I had produced on Pinterest of everything I had collected for this project, and on the typography board from my last project. 

While I was looking through I began to realise a pattern and that was that I tend to collect pieces that had some sort of structure. There were a few that didn't have them but the typography was mainly within a square, surrounding a shape or within a shape. Another reoccurring aspect was the fact the background or the type had a grungy texture to them. 

To make it easier to explain I picked out the designs I've found most inspirational.



Reoccurring aspects:
  • Textured background
  • Chalk-lettering style
  • Strict composition (well, structured)
  • No more than three-colour combination
  • Simple illustrations
  • Mixture of type styles - unusual typefaces - all hand-lettered 

Hopefully this brief "exercise" will help me to gain some inspiration and move forward with my Oscar Wilde design. I think from now on I shall stop restricting myself from looking for inspiration because even though James Franco mentioned how we should stop looking for inspiration and do it, I'm still in the learning process so right now I'm at the stage where he mentioned "to learn everything" which I should then "forget" before designing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment