Monday 22 April 2013

FMP: Illuminated Manuscripts Design - Experiment with Gold Pen

I would've loved to try out gold foil but after watching several videos on YouToube I thought that it wouldn't be suitable for my design as they are ideally used to create blocks of cover, so like a silhouette. If I did use gold foil then I would use it to cover the whole of my castle like a silhouette but that'll only detract the detail on it.

Instead I bought a gold pen - well, more of a gold gel pen - to experiment with by outlining some of the roses with it just to bring them out. I photocopied my illustration in order not to mess with the original, and began to draw!





And then this was my final result:



Conclusion:
After this I think I shall definitely go with my previous version of having pink roses, as I find that the gold effect makes the design look "old" as it is strongly linked to the illuminated manuscripts. I think that it doesn't bring out the roses as well as it does if they were coloured in pink, and it doesn't enforce the theme of romance.
However I am glad that I did do a little bit of experimentation with it as I had originally wanted to go for the white/gold theme, but I think the black does create a "darker" appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment