Tuesday 23 April 2013

FMP: Rapunzel Inspired Type

As I have been so inspired by the typestyle in the main headings used in the Art of Disney Rapunzel I decided to try it out for myself through hand-lettering. I had never done hand-lettering before so it was a new experience for me.

I started off by drawing three lines: one for the baseline, x-height and the cap height. Then I began to write in the letters (inspired by the Blackletter design and the style they used in Rapunzel but with my own twist) and after that was done I made some strokes thicker than others.

I really liked the way they had drawn the thin strokes in the Rapunzel design and wanted to do something similar, so that one side of the stroke would be thin and the other would be thick (Rapunzel did it the other way around). This makes the type look more delicate and elegant.



Here are some of the other words I tried out by using the same technique:


Conclusion:
After thinking about this I realised that my design that I had created was already good enough for that fairy tale appearance, and that by adding this typeface would probably ruin it and become stereotypically medieval. I want to create something new, something unusual, and something that wasn't too obvious.
It was nice to have a little experiment with hand-lettering and, surprisingly, I really enjoyed doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment