Monday 15 April 2013

FMP: My Thoughts

I had a little chat to my lecturer today because I've been stressing so much with this project; every design that I do doesn't "feel" right to me, and I'm getting more and more worried about it because I've only got just over a month to complete this. It sounds a lot, but by the time I've actually finished the design I need to look at paper stock and then printing companies... And the list goes on.

She made me realise the reason why I've been so stressed, and it's because I'm not using the methods that I love the most. It's good that I've been experimenting and tapping into digital design but what I really love is traditional illustration. I can't believe I didn't think about it before! It does explain why I've become more and more annoyed at myself that I can't produce the perfect design that I have in my head; it's because I'm not using the "right" methods.

Even though I have learnt a lot from my experiments and my designing I have decided to base my wedding invitation around traditional media, although I might use digital typefaces to it. I want my invitation to have that "organic" feel to it, to have character, and what better way than to do it by hand? 

Because of this I have decided to start doing some more research into illustration. I had briefly looked at two inspirational artists (Amy Brown and Jan Pienkowski) and the illustrations featured in the Grimm Fairytale's book, but I'm going to look into book illustration and illustrations portrayed in fairy tales a bit more to get that fairy tale feel.

Thinking about it makes me feel a lot better about my product, although I'm secretly annoyed with myself that I hadn't thought about it sooner. At least I've learnt how to use Illustrator a bit more!

No comments:

Post a Comment