Tuesday 7 January 2014

APP Words: Final Design Contin.

[4] [6] [8] [9]
One of the main focal points are the teapot, banner and cup, and it is necessary that the link between these is smooth to reflect the flow of tea from the pot so I created a new document to solely focus on that. I made the background green so that I could see everything clearly.
To try and do this link as smoothly as possible I created a smooth curve on a new layer. I used my sketch to help me out with this as well.


I used the paintbrush tool to try and make it a bit smoother, and it was a lot easier to draw the line with! I wish I discovered this function earlier. I just used the paintbrush to draw my line in the end.
That's when I realised that the paintbrush tool also had anchor points, so this should hopefully make it easier to draw the 'banner'. I ungrouped the Never Give In illustration and started to adjust it to match the line.


This was a lot harder than I actually thought so I just deleted my attempt and started to draw straight from the sketch. I only drew the 'ends' that would connect the teapot & cup to the banner. I copied and pasted this over, put it at a lower opacity, and started to connect them.


It was a lot harder for me to do the end link with the cup. I tried almost every option; copying and pasting what I had done from the sketch, trying to draw it anew from the sketch, copying... I tried using the 'link' I created with the paintbrush again to see if that worked. That's when I thought: why can't I just use the paintbrush tool to do it?



Unfortunately I couldn't figure out a way to connect them all so I just used this as reference again. Once I was done I hid the 'link' layer to adjust any curves.


With that finally done I can now connect these 'ends' to the banner to form one shape. Once that was all done - I had to adjust some parts so that they connected easier - I zoomed out to see what needs to be changed. I realised that the letters for the top banner were missing so I copied the banner, deleted it, brought the letters to front, then pasted the banner in place but put it so that it was right at the back.


I need to shift the top sentence to the left slightly but when I ungroup everything it went transparent, so I copied it across to ensure that I had a copy just in case. I then worked on the lettering individually, adding fills and strokes.


Now I can copy and paste this onto the Mug template!


Conclusion: [5]
This was surprisingly challenging for me because I wanted to make it flow as smoothly as possible. I'm glad that I managed to do this successfully so that I can now move on to adding texture and shading.
I think I'll keep the Twinings label there because the teapot/cup/never-give-in illustration only take up the centre of the design, so I need something nearer towards the edge to make it look 'full'.

[n] Learning Outcomes

No comments:

Post a Comment