Sunday 5 January 2014

APP Words: Laying Down the Foundations

[6]

Three-Colour Palette
I still haven't figured out a colour scheme just yet, however I want to see what my design would look like with some colour on it so I chose three shades of grey. These three shades would then be the different shades of whatever colour I choose in the end, although I might make the darkest shade in a completely different colour. 

I drew three boxes and filled them in colours so that it'll be easier to fill the banner design in, as I just need to use the dropper tool to do so. I first filled in the colours for the banner -  I haven't yet incorporated what I've learnt from my experiments [6] - and then started to work on the ampersand.
For some sections they appear to be right at the back of the banner, so I just selected it to bring it to front. I then adjusted the parts that overlaps so that it looked like the ampersand is still going beneath the banner.




I get this so far:



Mind The Gap
I realised that the gap in the ampersand was still left at the back, and I couldn't selected unless I deleted that section and brought the gap forward. So I copied it, deleted it, then brought the little gap to front. 
I then pasted it and sent it to the back.


This didn't solve the problem of how to cut the gap out of the section itself, so I just filled in the gap with white so that I could see it clearly. I then brought the ampersand section forward (but not to the front). 


I had a quick look around Illustrator to figure out how to delete the gap out of the ampersand when I noticed pathfinder, and after clicking on several of the buttons I figured out a way to delete it! I just selected both the ampersand section and the gap, then click on the button in pathfinder that looks like two boxes overlapping. 


I then used this new-found knowledge and applied it to all of the gaps in my letters, and I get this as a result:



Outline
Now it's time to apply an outline around the letters, using the same technique I tried out during my experimentation


And this was my result:



Conclusion:
Seeing my design in some sort of colour really has shown me this design's potential, and I just can't wait to figure out a suitable colour scheme! I would still have to add some little details here and there like marks on the banner where the shading it, but I'm a step closer to finishing my design.

[n] Learning Outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment