Thursday 23 January 2014

FMP (BA): List of Quotes

I'm leaning a bit on the idea of doing a book of quotes as it's something completely different to what I usually do, and I mentioned in my last APP project that I would love to explore more with different type styles. This would be the perfect way to do that!

I'm not quite sure on what theme I'd go with so I just collected a bunch of quotes from numerous sites and have listed them below. I had originally hand-written my ideas but... Even I couldn't read my own handwriting.
This time I will be crediting the authors as these are the more well-known quotes. I'll keep adding to this list throughout the duration of this project so that everything is in one place.

"It is difficult, when faced with a situation you cannot control, to admit you can do nothing." - Lemony Snicket
"There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you, and there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself." - Lemony Snicket
"I put my heart and my soul in my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent Van Gogh
"Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it." - Vincent Van Gogh
"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
"Soldiers are dreamers; when the guns begin they think of firelit homes, clean beds, and wives." - Siegfriend Sassoon
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R.R. Tolkien
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - J.R.R Tolkien
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear" - Mark Twain
“One day it will have to be officially admitted that what we have christened reality is an even greater illusion than the world of dreams.” - Salvador Dali
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett; Worstward Ho
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna' get." - Forrest Gump
"Afterall, tomorrow is another day." - Gone with the Wind
"We live as we dream: alone." - Heart of Darkness
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.” ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
“Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.” ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
"Listen; there's a hell
of a good universe next door: let's go" - E.E Cummings
“... Remember one thing only: that it's you - nobody else - who determines your destiny and decides your fate. Nobody else can be alive for you; nor can you be alive for anybody else.” ― E.E. Cummings
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
“What a slut time is. She screws everybody.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
"Winged Words" - Homer
"'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Tennyson



Sources: Dictionary of Quotations and Proverbs - The Everyman Edition compiled by D.C Browning.

No comments:

Post a Comment