Friday 31 January 2014

FMP (BA): Design Brief & Learning Outcome Analysis

The Brief
I have somewhat analysed my proposal in my "proposal" post, but I haven't broken down exactly what I needed to do to ensure that my project runs successfully. I have therefore highlighted some of the aspects in my design brief.

  • Book of Quotes - must integrate illustration & typography
  • Who for? - Oxford Literary Festival
  • Target Market - Literature Enthusiasts
  • No. of quotes - at least 4
Okay so it looks like I need to research more into the different types of hand-lettering or typography in general so that my designs don't seem repetitive. I need to make sure I choose the right quotes for my target market, so maybe the more "famous" and recognisable ones would be appropriate? I'll also need to briefly research into the Oxford Literary Festival as well. 

The Learning Outcomes
Like I have in my other projects I shall analyse each of the points separately, although will group together those that are quite similar.


[1] Developed their awareness of the needs and requirements of professional practice, manifested in the ability to produce practical graphic design work of high technical quality. 
[2] Developed a high level of intellectual and conceptual involvement with their chosen subject area, including skills of project proposal, documentation of project development and the presentation of outcomes.

Professional practice includes working to a deadline so to prove that I am doing this correctly I shall stick to the production schedule that I had drafted up in my previous post. I will also need to consider printing and paper so that I choose one that's appropriate for my final design and not leave it to the last minute. 
It seems that I've already covered the proposal section in the second learning outcome, but the others talk about how I should categorise and make note of everything that I've come across during the project. I need to take my chosen topic into a professional level so that'll include practising as much as possible with hand-lettering. I will be presenting my learning outcomes as [n] on each document at the very top or next to the section where I have covered a certain learning outcome. 

[3] Developed written and oral skills of critical self-evaluation in relation to their design practice.

I could self-evaluate by writing a conclusion at the end of each blog post to show how it was relevant to my project and what I've learnt. 

[4] Developed research skills in the area of contemporary professional practice.
[5] Developed skills of independent study, resource utilisation, problem-solving and decision-taking.
[6] Developed skills of critical thinking, analysis and evaluation.
[7] Developed their ability to learn through reflection on practice and experience.
[8] Developed their ability to scan and organise data, abstract meaning from information and communicate knowledge in a variety of formats.
[9] Developed their ability to work with complex material, analyse problems and identify appropriate solutions.

These learning outcomes mainly involve my research and documentation. To achieve these points I shall make note of: all of my experimentations, including what went right/wrong; YouTube videos and other useful tutorials; feedback gathered; conclusions and evaluations; analysis of inspirational pieces; screenshots of anything done on the computer and photos of things done by hand; and put everything on this blog.

[10] Developed their skills of visual, written and oral communication.

This learning outcome is very similar to [3] as it's all about communication. In order to show that I've communicated appropriately I shall include screenshots whenever I ask for feedback via Facebook/in class, and I'll also ask the proper target market. 

Conclusion:

I've noticed that all of these are skills that I should already have and develop, which just shows what level I'm working at. In a few months time I'll be entering the design industry so I'm expecting to know as much about my topic area as possible. 

My next step is to dive into research and experimentation, and at the same time write [n] next to each section where I have covered a certain learning outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment