Friday 3 January 2014

APP Words: Working on the Final Design

I can finally make steps towards my final design, so the first thing I did was look through my pictures of tea leaves from my Pinterest board "Tea" and did a small drawing, trying to figure out how to do it so that it's like a pattern. I'm going to develop this further in Illustrator as they have an option on how to do patterns (but I need to look at some tutorials first!)


Then I had a look at the Twinings logo and after writing down some notes I tried my hand at drawing it. It went surprisingly successfully, although I'm worried that the type wouldn't work well at a small scale because of how tall the characters are.  


Nevertheless I carried on and started drawing the tea bag label, preferring an existing product design. Then I went along and added in the type into the tea bag label, starting by doing the type first then forming the label around it.



I noticed that there were some imperfections in the type but I was perfectly fine with it. Even though Leslie Cabarga said that I must be consistent and near-perfect with type, I think by including my imperfections emphasises that it was hand-drawn and not simply traced from their logo. It should also help me to avoid any copyright issues, but I'll write continuously throughout this project that it is for university and I'm not planning on selling my design.


Now I want to try it out with my Inkling! 


That's when I realised that the pen had ran out of battery.

Conclusion:
I'm happy to see my final design slowly coming together. It's quite an unusual technique... I'm basically treating it like a jigsaw; drawing every little part separately in hopes of bringing them all together. I hope this works! 
While I wait for my Inkling Pen to charge I shall be trying my design out in Illustrator just in case the experiment with the Inkling doesn't work as well as I hoped. Don't want to waste time waiting for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment