Monday 2 December 2013

APP Home (AOI): Experimentation with Different Media

Wacom Inkling

My first experimentation was to see how well the Wacom Inkling works. I am a big lover of inking and line art, and because I find it difficult to do that with a tablet I had received this Inkling as a birthday present. I haven't yet used it properly so this was the perfect opportunity to see how it works.

To use the Inkling I had to attach the little 'box' to the top of my piece of A5 paper, turn it on, and then started to draw. Every time my pen was registered it sent off a signal to this 'box', and flashed green. 
It was actually really easy to use and so I got used to it relatively quickly. Once done I just detached the 'box' and then connected it to my computer using the USB cable provided. It then brings up Sketch Manager and from there I could choose to either open it up on Photoshop or Illustrator. It converts it to a vector in Illustrator, but as I would like to mainly focus on painting digitally in Photoshop I opened it on that software.
It had placed different sections on different layers, just as I asked it too. All in all, it was pretty successful!


Conclusion:
This experimentation was very successful and I would love to try out the Inkling again, and yet I found it quite difficult when doing the shading. This shows that I wouldn't be able to go into as much detail as I want to, and unfortunately I wouldn't be able to thicken any lines as it doesn't come in different nib sizes. 


London Skyline 


After sketching the London skyline with the faces of the two giants on the previous page, I decided to play about with watercolour paint to see what it'll look like if I did the skyline as silhouettes. This is so that the main focus will be on the sky as I hoped to make it quite vibrant.

I also had the 'halloween mood' so I wanted to play around with blue and purples, which also happen to be my favourite colours as well as being closely associated with that magical atmosphere.


I started by drawing out my skyline in pencil and then creating a wash by wetting the paper, and working from the top I dabbed some purple paint before dabbing two shades of blue paint right next to it. I made sure these were very rich in colour so didn't use as much water than I did paint. 
While it the paints were still wet I gently dabbed it with scrunched tissue paper to soften the edges and make them look like clouds.
I wanted to create a starry sky so dipping my brush into some white paint I then dipped it into clean water, making sure that it was really wet before flicking it over my painting. 
I then painted in the skyline in black ink.
After everything had dried I realised that I had forgotten to complete the London Eye so I finished it off with marker pen. 



Conclusion:
I really liked using the purple and blues because it creates that magical feeling, and reminds me of the works done by Jan Pienkowski. I could just picture some of the characters in the sky interacting with each other, although I'm not too sure how to do that just yet.
I think I'll experiment with watercolour paint a bit more to see if I could create different effects with it. 


Watercolour Textures

Ever since I had done my watercolour painting of the London skyline I've been thinking about trying out different techniques by using materials. I've been using watercolours for quite a while now and yet I haven't really explored into doing different textures with materials such as rock salt, so I gathered some rock salt, fake feathers, brown sugar and tissue to try and see what textures they produce. 

I separated a sheet of A4 'normal' paper into 4 different sections so that I could compare them all side by side. I then watered the paper slightly before putting on some light touches of paint, and then sprinkled each of my materials over the paint (although with the tissue experiment I just dabbed tissue lightly onto the paint). I had to make sure to do all of these when the paint was still wet in order to be successful.
I then waited a couple of hours for the paint to dry.

Before

After

Brown Sugar


Blotted Tissue
Feathers
Rock Salt

From these results I can see that the rock salt had produced a very interesting effect, whereas the brown sugar seemed to have dissolved to form a thick paste much like icing! The feathers weren't very visible so that wasn't as good, and the tissue just blended in my colours.


Conclusion:
This experiment has shown me that I could produce numerous textures by dabbling with unusual materials (unusual in the sense you'd never think of using them in art!) I really liked how well the rock salt was so I'm hoping to use that in my final piece. I wish I could say the same for the sugar...

No comments:

Post a Comment