Sunday 22 December 2013

APP Words: Inspiration at Work

[4]

I noticed that my sketches were becoming a bit redundant and that I was running out of ideas, so while it was really quiet at work I took the chance to do some new sketches, drawing inspiration from the patterns of some of the clothes there. Even though these patterns are completely unrelated to this project and doesn't feature any typography it didn't really matter because I find that it's nice to gather inspiration from almost anything, and it was a breather from what I had been looking at the past couple of weeks. 

Inspiration (please excuse the quality of the photos!)

All patterns etc belong to Long Tall Sally

Nevertheless I did repeat one or two previous sketches, but I took them further by drawing them in different styles. For example I developed the ideas of sketching some buntings to dangle from the rim of the travel mug, as I drew each letter of the quote with different patterns. 


From this I then just did random sketches of whatever popped into my head, hence why I came up with "Why the long face". After talking to one of my colleagues I decided to try out a style I had previously done as I quite liked it. Then I just went a bit crazy again and did wacky speech bubbles.


This then led me to drawing speech bubbles in different ways, inspired by the patterns on the clothes. I really want to lay out my type in different shapes like they do in Steve Simpson's and Linzie Hunter's work because it makes the whole appearance more fun and outgoing. They are my biggest inspirations for this project so far!



Conclusion:
I think I'll carry on drawing these speech bubbles as I've pretty much chosen my quotes (having labelled them with a gold star) so I'll be looking at inspirational illustrators a bit more. I shall also need to consider my colour scheme at one point... Hmm.

[n] Learning Outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment