Wednesday 11 December 2013

APP Words: Logo, Font and Lettering Bible by Leslie Cabarga

[4] [5] [7]

I had recently purchased this book after having a friend refer it to me while I was still deciding whether or not to do this project. I have to say that it is jam-packed with lots of useful information, although I was just a bit overwhelmed by this because there's just so much writing in it.


The first section covers the history and basics of typography before moving on to drafting type, so I quickly skimmed this so that I could reach the section I was really interested in; the things that I needed to take into account when drafting type.

I took photos of these pages, and there's quite a lot of them! Please excuse the glare on some of the pages, it's my table lamp.










Throughout this section Cabarga emphasise the important of consistency and how the x-height must be always the same. If I wanted to go with something strange then everything must be strange e.g. if I wanted to purposely make a T really tall then I have to make all of the Ts really tall. She also hints the importance of kerning and leading as well as the arrangement of type. 

This section also caught my eye because it covers a whole collection of useful tutorials that I could try out in Illustrator, including how to work with scanned in pieces of work.







Conclusion:
I found this book quite hard to follow - it wasn't that it was hard to read, but it was quite hard to take all of the information in at once. As I've got quite a  pretty tight deadline I'm unable to go through each section in great detail, so I'll try and continuously refer to it whenever I can. I have pinpointed the tutorials nearer to the back of the back for when I reach my production stage. [8]

[n] Learning Outcomes

No comments:

Post a Comment