Wednesday 11 December 2013

APP Words: Motivational Quotes

[4]

The motivational or inspirational quote will be one of the key aspects in the design, and even though I've decided that I'll do several snippets of this I want to figure out what makes a quote motivational. This involved me looking through websites and highlighting the quotes I find really inspirational whether they had to do with sport or just everyday life.

This will help me to figure out what quotes to include in my piece and stop them from being 'boring' and sound the same. I shall be collecting typographic posters that feature motivational quotes at the same time and will analyse some of the most inspirational ones. 

Collection of Quotes

"You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream." C.S. Lewis
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." Thomas A. Edison
"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward." Victor Kiam
"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney
"Never, never, never give up." Winston Churchill
"Work hard in silence, let success be your noise." Frank Ocean
"If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough." Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." Jack London
"Never give in and never give up." Hubert H. Humphrey 
"All our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." Lao Tzu
"It always seems impossible until it's done." Nelson Mandela
"Believe you can and you're halfway there." Theodore Roosevelt
"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." Milton Berle
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost. The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring. Renewed shall be the blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be the King." John Ronald Reuel Tolkien

(Sources: Brainy QuoteMain Quotes; Brainy Quote [Inspirational])

What makes these quotes inspirational/motivational? From what I can see from this collection, they all have a similar goal; to tell the person they're talking to never to give up and make opportunities. If I was to write my own quote I would try and aim for a similar thing like I did in my previous sketches e.g. "you can do it" and "everything will be okay".

Typographic Posters

I placed all those pieces featuring quotes in the same typography folder so that everything is kept in one place. To see more of the posters I've collected, please click here.

I'm actually going to just use one post for my analysis of typographic posters, so to see my analysis please click here.


Conclusion:
I shall be picking out several of these chosen quotes to use on my design, as I'm hoping to use at least one of them and then create several little snippets of my own. This is because I wouldn't want to overwhelm my design by lots of famous quotes.

[n] Learning Outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment