Friday 13 December 2013

APP Words: Chalk Lettering

[3] [4] [5] [7]

On the way to an exhibition in London I stumbled upon a series of chalk lettering outside a pub, and when I looked closer I realised that they weren't actually done with chalk but some sort of paint. Nevertheless it had that chalk appearance and I really liked the type styles so I took photos of them anyway.
I've been interested in this type of lettering since I had a look at Matthew Tapia's work on Pinterest, as I really like the way they lay each element out and it has that 'traditional' appearance. 

Unfortunately I do not know the letterer behind these 'posters' so if anyone knows who did them, please let me know so I can credit them!









As I have mentioned above, I like the general layout of chalk lettering but for these I could not help but think of the old letterpress posters, especially carnival posters. This might be due to the use of serifs and the way they mix together lots of different styles (as some of them do showcase sans serif for the lesser important information). The structure is quite strict although some words do break out from the composition, but I prefer quotes or groups of letters to be more "free" especially in hand-lettering. I prefer the last few photos I took because of this, and also because they added in some cursive lettering.
I've noticed that some of the letters have a different coloured shading, such as "Mulled wine" where the shading is in yellow. I would like to try this out because it just adds a splash of, well, colour and highlights the importance of the particular word.

Even though I didn't really like the last photo I quite liked the decorative tails and swash of some of the letters. It doesn't really have a set composition, so maybe in this case it would've been better if it's structure was more strict.

This made me want to look a bit more in to chalk lettering because, as I have mentioned above, I really liked the type styles although wasn't really too keen on the overall layout. That's when I found Scott Biersack who posted a time lapse on his Behance.


In his video he clearly relies on a strong structure as it becomes one of the first things he sketches before moving on to laying out the spaces where each letter would be. This is similar to what I do but instead of drawing boxes, I just draw lines to plan where the x-height would be. I could use his technique when it comes to laying out my chosen quote.
The texture that chalk has on the board really makes his lettering interesting, and I've been trying to create some sort of texture in my hand lettering exercises. Maybe I should try out using chalk? Or perhaps look at some other materials to use to produce some hash lines and different textures.

Conclusion:
Even though most chalk-letterers stick to white, I do like how they sometimes add in a splash of colour for the shading of 3D letterforms. I shall be watching more chalk lettering videos to include in my next batch of useful YouTube videos as I'm quite interested on the composition of the words.

[n] Learning Outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment