Sunday 29 December 2013

APP Words: Template Prototype

[8] [9]

With my ideas slowly coming together I thought that it's time that I created a prototype for the travel mug design so that I wouldn't panic and leave it at the last minute. My previous projects have taught me that it wasn't only the design that was important, but the way it's presented, so I want to make sure that I can be as accurate as possible for this travel mug.

Luckily I had purchased a ceramic travel mug a couple of weeks ago to act as a mock up for my design. I had looked up at mug templates but I didn't really find an actual template I could use. Some sites provided a service where I could upload my own design, and I tried that out but it only allowed a small square space for my design.

The best thing to do was then make up my own, so I took out a tape measure and jotted down its dimensions. I then drew up my first template, cut it out, and wrapped it around the mug.




Unfortunately this didn't work and I realised that I actually needed it to curve. I looked up on Google again for some templates but couldn't find anything. That's when I remembered that I had actually kept a Costa coffee travel mug from uni! I carefully took off the wrapping from it and placed it around my travel mug, and it fit!





I could then use this as my template! I drew around it, cut it out, and then wrapped it around the travel mug just to double check that it was correct. When I get closer to the stage of printing my design I might make the template every so slightly shorter because it's extremely close to the edges.




Conclusion:
With my template out of the way I could now fully concentrate on assembling my design. I'm so glad that I managed to get this sorted really smoothly, thank goodness for the Costa at uni! It saved the day!

[n] Learning Outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment