Friday 6 December 2013

APP Home (AOI): Further Experimentation, Take Two

I decided to give my experimentation another try after looking at the newer perspective I created (which somehow didn't seem that 'comfortable' in my opinion). I'm going to try just shifting the bus around as that might be the reason why the newer perspective was a bit 'uncomfortable' for me as well as the other elements so that they cover one side of the illustration, leaving plenty of space for the silhouettes.

I first started by duplicating the most recent file because I didn't want to lose any adjustments I had made previously, and then I used the lasso tool to draw around the bus. I only selected the line layer first that's what I wanted to focus on. I duplicated this to a new layer "Bus on own". I then moved this layer to sit in front of the Big Ben and the other building as well as the coloured bus layer. Duplicating this Big Ben layer ("BB Edited") I erased the areas where it overlapped with the bus.


I used the same method for the bridge although had to make some more changes: I shifted the end of the bridge to the place just before the original bus, then erased this bus. After this I moved the layer and turned it, placing it behind the Big Ben. I erased any overlapping areas.



Time to shift the London Eye! This was a lot easier to do as all I needed to do was rotate and place it in it's new place, then erase any areas where it went over onto the road.


I get this so far!


It looks good so far but the bus is still bothering me a bit because it's perspective is just completely different to the building. So I select the bus' line art layer, pressed cmd +t and then right clicked it and chose 'perspective'. I played around with this function and when done I pressed enter.
However I still didn't like it so I just went back to how it was originally to try it out again later.


To help me out with the perspective I painted a red dot where I want everything to point to. I selected the Big Ben layer, cmd + t but this time selected distort just to play around with it. This didn't work out so well but it was still worth a try!


I pushed the perspective aside and this time worked on the of the buildings, placing everything in their new positions. This took a while as I had to place everything on a new layer.


Time to move onto the silhouettes! All I did here was shift all of the characters around, which I found a lot easier to do because it seems like everything seemed to fit perfectly, yay! Unfortunately the watercolour layer still covered up some of the silhouettes so if this experiment is successful I shall have to redo it.


At this point I wanted to work again on the perspective of the bus so I shifted it to the centre, only to come across a little problem... When I moved it, it revealed the areas I erased! Luckily I still had my other experiment's file so all I did was copy and paste it into place before changing the layer style to Multiply. Then I deleted the older layer and worked on this new layer and areas the overlapping areas.


Because of the shift in buildings I had to change the little glow surrounding them. For the Big Ben and London Eye this was quite easy as I just needed to change them around, but for the bridge I had to create a new layer and do it again. This was relatively easy as all I needed to do was use the rectangle lasso tool (if that's the proper term for it) with a 30pt feather, then use the Paint Bucket tool to fill that space in in a light blue. Then I changed the thickness of it, duplicated it so that it's brighter, and voila! That part's done!


I then moved onto the blue tint by taking a large, soft brush in blue and covering all of the buildings. Then I set the layer style to Soft Lift at a 55% opacity.


I realised that the bus was a little off colour-wise, so used the transform and perspective tool to fit in between in the lines of the bus. I erased whatever went over the lines.


I end up with this!


Conclusion:
This composition has a lot more of a comfortable feel and I would love to carry on with it, but due to my tight schedule I'll have to go back to this once I've had a strong start to my other APP project. This has shown me that in industry an illustrator will have to work to tight schedules and it's more often or not they'll find something to change even after they've submitted a design! It's annoying but it does happen. Hopefully in my next APP I'll be able to do more experimentation so that I don't come across the same problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment