Thursday 12 December 2013

APP Words: Doodles 2

I was inspired to do some more doodles after I flicked through my Pinterest board and stumble upon the work by. I wanted to develop some of my previous doodles, especially where I had done the words "good morning beautiful," "anything can happen" and "you can do it" because I think that those are really motivational and full of positive thoughts. 


Works in Progress

After some thought I realised that maybe "good morning beautiful" might not be adequate for a unisex design, because it might appear to be too feminine. I then moved onto writing out the words "good morning sweet" as I want it to tie in with sugar cubes, but even then... Well, not everyone drinks tea in the mornings, and I want my design to be used throughout the day.

Anything Can Happen
This led me on to the development of "anything can happen", and I've taken pictures to show my process. I was inspired by a video on YouTube and Sean Wes' work where they had written out a phrase then worked from the middle outwards. I first drew out my banner, wrote my quote, figured out where the middle of each word was, and then moved on from there. 




I then realised that some of the letters needed adjusting, so I made those changes. This included the way 'Y' was drawn. 


You Can Do It and Everything Will Be Okay
With those changes made, I moved onto a few more quotes, "you can do it!" and "everything will be okay."




Conclusion:
I learnt a lot more about layout and lettering during my experimentations, and I'm pleased to see that I have more of an understanding about letterforms at this stage. My analysis of typefaces and seeing where each letter falls on the lines really helped me with this experimentation. I would like to carry on with these sketches and experiments, and shall look for more motivational words to work with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment