Tuesday 10 December 2013

APP Words: Doodles

I watched a video interview on Steve Simpson and this really inspired me to go back to my childhood hobby; doodling. I just loved drawing doodles in the margins of my school book, and the way that Simpson has assembled his illustrations made it appear like he was bunching up a group of doodles. He creates such perfect compositions, and his cartoon characters just shows that illustration doesn't mean that everything has to be extremely perfect in terms of anatomy, but cartoons are acceptable as well! This was really inspiring for me because I am a bit of a perfectionist and got bogged down by the thought of having to draw 'perfect' characters... Now I can simply draw cute and funny little cartoons. 

This is the video in question:


It's just so inspiring! Especially when they show his little sketches, which he also does in his portfolio so that we could see how he managed to put the illustration together. 

After watching this video I decided to do some quick doodles in my sketchpad of almost anything related to this project. I tried out using different coloured pencils but it seems that they didn't really show up on the page as well as I thought, hence why it's difficult to see them in these photos. 








And here's one of my more realistic doodles. Not too sure if I shall include this in my design, but I shall include it here anyway:


Conclusion:
Doing these doodles was really fun and I really enjoyed doing them! I think I shall carry on doing these doodles as it'll help me break away from thinking of just the overall design so far. This means that I could just pick out the doodles that I like and find most successful for the design and fit them all together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment